• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 12L Nano Shrimp Tank. Low-tech. UPDATES!

Apologies in advance for what is probably a stupid question, but how did you secure the moss on the floor? Also is any wood suitable or do it need to be 'aquatic safe' for want of a better description.

I am trying to achieve a similar look in my shrimp tank with no success at all.

Your tank looks stunning by the way :D

Hi Mirf, welcome to the forum :)

I used wire mesh from ebay for the moss floor. Just search for 'wire mesh moss' on there, it was from the far east. Then tied it on wish some thin fishing line.

I always buy wood that is specifically for aquariums, though you can use found wood, but it (can) involve a lot of soaking, boiling & cleaning as far as I'm aware, which can be a PITA!

Hi guys :)

Took a new pic today, had to do a big prune of the xmas moss as it was going wild! Still needs more of a trim, it's growing in long single fronds, probably due to CO2 availability.

5229122435_db6098c51c_b.jpg

Still trying to get decent shrimp pics, but my lenses don't focus close enough :/

Antoni Dimitrov said:
What a lovely litle low mainanence tank!

So are you still using this diffuser, you was writting about, in earlier post. Can you share a picture of it?!

Congrats

Thanks, and no I haven't used the diffuser in months. It's much nicer as the tank looks brighter. I get a tiny bit of hair algae but it's very managable so no worries really. The diffuser was a bit of rectangular frosted perspex with a bit of kitchen roll over it, with an elastic band holding it onto the light fixture, (very high-tech ;) )

bogwood said:
Tank looks lovely...............perfect for shrimps. :clap:
Are you continuing to spot more baby shrimps.

Thank you, yes I'm spotting new babies all the time! Though I have absolutely no idea how many shrimp are in there, or if they are all surviving, but the planting is so dense you don't spot more than a few at a time. I haven't seen any dead ones though, so there could be loads in there! :lol:

Wonderful tank :)
Quick question how did you find the light ? did it give a good light , get too hot, colour of the LEDS ?

is the Aqua light a lot brighter then ?.
Any improvement on plant growth

Yes it's a lot brighter. 9w vs about 2.6w.

I didn't have the LED on long enough to notice plant growth but for sure the 9w will produce faster growth. To use the 9w on a tank this size with no co2 or ferts, you realy need a very high plant mass so as to not have algae issues i have found.

I'm selling the LED light for £10 with box & postage inc if you're intrested.

Back