• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

surface agitation

viktorlantos said:
cheers ceg, a little back to my ealrier comment (without beeing too off) there are no visible CO2 bubbles in my tank. But a few hours before lights goes off i see this on the surface. Pure O2 from the plants which could not escape because of the minor surface agitation.
Hi Viktor,
Yes mate, I agree that in your case those are definitely pearled O2 bubbles held at the surface by the adhesion of biofilm. No argument there, but the OP stated:
bjorn said:
...I just have this problem now with lots of tiny bubbles from the ADA diffuser on the surface..
So I interpreted that to mean that CO2 bubbles coming from the diffuser were on the surface. I couldn't detect any indication of pearling from the OP's tank photo or description so that's why I concluded that in his case this was CO2, not O2.

bjorn said:
I think my problem is to do with my external filter and not having enough power
Yeah, that's why I mentioned the 10X rule. We generally suggest that you have a total filter/pump rating of 10 times the tank volume per hour. When you have this level of pumping power then you have more flexibility as regards the outflow configuration. You may want to look at upgrading your filter.

I can't see where anyone has hijacked...we're all trying to solve the OP's issues, right? 8)

Cheers,

I have almost no visible surface movement. If I drop food on the water surface it will migrate toward the overflow so there is clearly some movement. Keeping CO2 dissolved in water is a function of surface agitation, CO2 concentration below the water surface and CO2 concentration above the water surface. You could in theory, completely seal a tank and inject almost no CO2 and get high CO2 concentrations even with lots of surface agitation. This would eventually be very bad for your fish though. You have to try and keep things at a happy medium. Some gas loss from the tank is good, too much loss is bad for your plants or your CO2 budget.

Back