• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45cm - 2011 IAPLC entry #577 - The Unknown Valley

Re: 90x45x45cm - The Unknown

looking nice Stu.

Are you using the halide?

How high do you have it mate?

With such a low plant mass, whats the plan to gain total control over the scape?

Mark Evans said:
looking nice Stu.

Are you using the halide?

How high do you have it mate?

With such a low plant mass, whats the plan to gain total control over the scape?
cheers mark. the halide is now quite high on the light stand so have cut the light down a bit, not sure on the distance from the water, will have to measure it.

What you cant see from the front is that ive got a lot of hairgrass, hydrocotle and tennelus planted at the back. these will show when they grow a bit higher and fill in some gaps. There's also loads of moss stones dotted around the scape and tucked into crevices although im not sure if they count as being much plant mass.

Im also thinking or putting in some stems to get a few small bushes going and im up for suggestions as to what stem would look good in this.

along with the above im hoping to spot some ferns popping up for sale in the "sale section" so i can fill it in a bit more :)

That's some nice looking rock, and since you got it for free, its great rock! I like the hardscape much although I'm not sure how ferns would look like on a mountainscape. That big rock on the right is a bit distracting to me, it just screams "look at me!!" a little too loudly, considering the focal point should be on the left?

flygja said:
That's some nice looking rock, and since you got it for free, its great rock! I like the hardscape much although I'm not sure how ferns would look like on a mountainscape. That big rock on the right is a bit distracting to me, it just screams "look at me!!" a little too loudly, considering the focal point should be on the left?
cheers flygja. Ive wanted to try ferns on a cliff scape for a while so ill just see how it goes once they grow in. Im living with the right rock for now :)

A little update on the tank.

Its been going quite well. Ive done about 5 water changes since it was started. Have got some amonia remover rock in the filter (sorry, forgotten what its called!) The hairgrass and fissidens is growing really well. everything else is plodding on with no signs (fingers crossed) of any algae. I have got some cool mosses growing that came with the lava rock from outside so time will tell how they do submerged.

Some new pics

top left

the_unknown_4.jpg

Bottom right with graded lava rock

the_unknown_5.jpg

A view up the path. Path needs cleaning!

the_unknown_6.jpg

Left view up the path. Path still needs cleaning..

the_unknown_7.jpg

Front view (co2 got away from itself tonight so drop checker is a bit too yellow :wideyed: )

the_unknown_8.jpg

Still looks like a reef...
I jest, looks great man. I'd say if the fish are fine leave the co2 as it is. it really does look great.

The ferns are actually looking quite nice at the moment. Overall its looking real good.

cheers Garuf. Im going to join reefkeepers anonymous. "hi im stu. Im a secret reef keeper. ive been clean for 3 years now..." :)

Cheers flygja, I really just need to wait now for them to grow in and buy some more to fil the gaps when I get chance

Going to be a beauty soon :clap:
Could you get what sort of sand is it and where could i get something similar?

Piece-of-fish said:

Liking this one a lot, rocks work very well and I think the ferns will grow in nicely!

stuworrall said:
Piece-of-fish said:

Ahh, ADA stuff is too expensive for me :(

Stue, your a talented chap.

Love the new scape. The lava is really cool. The mix of txtures from all the various mosses, ferns etc will will make this tank look naturally wild. The bright sand will give it a much need bright kick up the backside - which is what it needs due to the dark rock..... very clever 8)

Real nice display.

Oh, and I will have some of that fern when I next see ya, ive got just the place for it.

Nice work mate :thumbup:

Stu, Firstly Merry Chrimbo to you and your family!

Lovin the new scape, the height really works well in the 45cm deep tank. Its also good to see something which looks different and this certainly does. Should be sweet once it grows in. Cant wait to see this one evolve and i second Graemes's comment about the sand really brightens up the scape!

More pics!

Andy

Sorry for the lack of updates on this tank. I think xmas got in the way! Ive done another trim and water change today, mainly on the hairgrass and tennelus as they are going mad. I have found that ive got a BBA problem though as its strating to grow on all the lava rocks when I look closely :(

Reading on the forum this is due to poor/unstable co2 so ive upped it a bit more and im going to remove an hour from the start time to see if that helps. Ill probably raise the light another few inches too but will have to find my spanners for that.

Graeme Edwards said:
Stue, your a talented chap.

Love the new scape. The lava is really cool. The mix of txtures from all the various mosses, ferns etc will will make this tank look naturally wild. The bright sand will give it a much need bright kick up the backside - which is what it needs due to the dark rock..... very clever 8)

Real nice display.

Oh, and I will have some of that fern when I next see ya, ive got just the place for it.

Nice work mate :thumbup:
Cheers mr G. ive been hoping this will be different from my other tanks, just have to get on top of the algae problem
andyh said:
Stu, Firstly Merry Chrimbo to you and your family!

Lovin the new scape, the height really works well in the 45cm deep tank. Its also good to see something which looks different and this certainly does. Should be sweet once it grows in. Cant wait to see this one evolve and i second Graemes's comment about the sand really brightens up the scape!

More pics!

Andy
and a merry one to you too andy :) Cheers for the comments. will try and get soem more pics tonight as its bubble tastic at the moment after the water change :lol:

Apologies for the lack of updates.

last update - december sometime....

the_unknown_8.jpg

Small update as its growing in nicely. Excuse the dirty pipes and algae on the bottom left glass (cant reach it with the scraper!) The fissidens on the top right rock is just there to speed up the growth so its not permanent

Still need some fish but havent decided which yet.

the_unknown_9.jpg

cheers paulo, yup pretty much weekly water change. Ive scraped the glass once but did have a major outbreak of BBA which ive seen to with easycarbo. I need to change the glass diffuser for a buyo or something as im not getting the co2 into the tank as easily as I was with the good (but ultimately crap build) sera turbo vortex co2 thingy that broke.

Looking great mate.

The Boyu or Up inline diffusers are very effective, and great value for money.

The general consensus seems to be the Up is superior to the Boyu.

That's one bright yellow drop checker you've got!

Back