• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on buy a lense for a present....

Vito

Hey guys, I know there is many photography enthusiasts here so I though before I took the plunge I would seek some advice, my brother has been bugging me for a lense this cristmas he currently has a Cannon EOS 550D which he got in April, he shoots alot of people and tries to take close shot but he doesnt have a macro so his close ups arent as up to scratch as some, I have a budget of £180-£200 max his current lense is a EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens which came with the camera, I am open to second hand if I can get more for my money. Can some one kindly steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

I have a fixed 50mm in my bag, excellent for portraits, not good for macro.

A cannon 100mm macro, sigma 105mm macro or the Tamron 90mm macro (i have the tamron) would be great choices macro wise! Maybe you can even afford both if you look properly on ebay ;)

stuworrall said:
thats not a true macro vito for info.

id still go with the nifty 50 (for portraits) or if you can get a second hand one in your budget the tamron 90mm macro

Cant argue with the price of the Canon EF Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8 - Canon EF, what are the benifits of this lense over and above his current one, I want to get him something that will make a difference to his shots.

Much much sharper than standard lens from 2.8 upwards, much much better low light performance (although no Image Stabilization). Focusing and build quality isn't good, but for the price, don't complain.

EDIT: by the way, I sold mine to Dan Crawford and I wish I never had!! LOL! :rolleyes:

You can also look for canon 85mm f1.8 its more expensive than 50mm but for portraits its amazing.

I love my 50mm f/1.8. Best value lens for Canon there is, and amazing results for the money.

f/2.8, 1/100 sec, ISO 800.

5229629940_2d8b081306_z.jpg

Tom said:
17-55 in that case
Great lens but not in budget I'd say, even used.

Another option is the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 macro. It's my workhorse lens and is only about £250. Very sharp with a decent minimum focusing distance so you can get close up for macro work.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... D4Q8wIwAg#

There were couple used ones from 160 to 190 buy it now on ebay last week. Sigmas i mean.
The price should have gone down a bit due to an upgrade from sigma with OS which goes around 300 at the moment.

Back