• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lens for Canon EOS 500D

GHNelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Tom
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not that sure. I just want to take some decent pictures with a half decent lens.
The other 2 lenses are out of my budget at the moment maybe I will up-grade if I like what I'm doing......next year.
I just want a versatile couple of lenses that wont cost the monthly wage packet and the missus wont nag at me for having another unused gadget :lol: :rolleyes:
Cheers
hoggie

OK, apart from the 50mm 1.8, anything else in budget is unlikely to beat the standard lens at that focal range. You could probably look at a cheap longer zoom lens, but if I were you on this budget I'd stick to the standard lens + 50 1.8 and save for a 70-200 F4 L or a reasonable 70-300 in the future (assuming you'd want a longer lens) if that's the direction you want to go - you won't regret it. I bought a cheaper end Canon 90-300 lens a few years back, and about a week after I'd just saved a bit longer.

hogan53 said:
HI gang
I would like to get my first SLR camera....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-500D-Digi ... 224&sr=8-2
And a couple of lens ...Maybe a 50mm and something else can anyone recommend a third party lens to go with the above body.
Cheers
hoggie

Hi gang
I have purchased the above body now.
I need some advise regarding a lens.The Canon 50mm lens does it have to be a specific type....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-50mm-F1-8 ... 298&sr=1-3
Or this lens for the above body
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8 ... 298&sr=1-1
Meaning does it have to be a EOS lens type?
Cheers
hoggie

I've been playing around with old lenses recently (like 30-40 years old) which is always fun. You can get M42 to EOS adapters on eBay that let you use old screw-fit lenses. Just a thought, if you feel like experimenting!!

Good ones I've found are Helios 44m-4 (55mm F2) that come with Zenit cameras, or I also have an Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 55 F2 that I'm particularly fond of - both much sharper and better built than the Canon 50 1.8, but of course you lose the autofocus and they're manual aperture control so not as practical.

Tom

Hi Tom
I like the idea of mixing and matching older lenses.Maybe i could find a few bargains on E-bay that will fit my Canon.
Only I haven't a clue :rolleyes: what i should be looking for.
I guess the build was far better then on these older body lenses and most would be glass.....I think.
The draw back was they where a tad heavy to lug about I assume.
I'm no expert as you know .....would the glass used now be of higher quality than then......has the manufacturing got better when it comes to optics nowadays.
Or have i got it all wrong?
Regards
hoggie

Yeah, the build quality is fantastic - can't go wrong, strength-wise with Russian gear like Zenits. They're built like tanks, quite literally.

Just search for Helios 44m 4 or Super Takumar 55 F2 - or any M42 lens come to that but those are two I really like, with the Super Takumar coming top. You will need an adapter from ebay too, that does M42 lens to EOS body. Most lenses will fit fine, but apparently some can get in the way of the mirror on the camera. I've never had that problem though.

Glass in high-end lenses now will be much better than the equivalent from many years ago, but I still say I can get a much sharper image with my Takumar than I could with a lot of modern lenses under say £400. You just get zero electrical technology and nothing automatic. There will be a manual aperture dial on an older lens, but if you set the camera to AV mode it works fine.

The coating on the Takumar in particular is also very good - again, probably better than many cheap modern lenses, but I do sometimes find I need to bump up the blacks (in levels) in the Canon software afterwards but that's not really an issue for me as I will do it whatever.

Tom

Back