• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini Bonsai - Sekibokka

Antoni

Dear friends,

I just wanted to share with you my new aqcquisition - a friend of mine, brought me from Japan a really nano Bonsai, which accordingly to the label is called Sekibokka /Sekibokka /石木花とは/in translation means "The stone tree and flower". / which from the scantily information I have manage to find, mainly in Japaneese :shifty: is appearing that Sekibokka is a a new style.

Here some pictures of it:
Proba%20321.jpg

macro2.jpg

Macro1.jpg

I have recieved also a small "manual" for the litle gem, which gives me some directions for watering, lighting, fertz and etc. but Im curiuos what species of tree is that?

I have asked on some of the bonsai forums, but nobody seems to know... o_O

I have also sent an email to the producer, but have not heared from them back. Probably do not speak English.

Any way it is a very nice litle tree and I will try shaping it a bit, maybe next spring.

Regards

Antoni

there are hundreds of different varieties and crosses but they produce fruits with stones in spring, if its still alive next year :D you might be able to narrow it down

Hi all,
Definitely could be C. japonica, but I think it might be Pyracantha, which is spiny like Chaenomeles, and a closely related member of the Rosaceae. Both Pyracantha and Chaenomeles are fairly easy as cuttings.

Pyracantha:
Slide14.jpg

I've thought of a couple more evergreen garden shrubs that are relatively easy cuttings and might do, they are the common variegated Euonymus fortunei, Hedging Lonicera, (Lonicera nitida) and Box (Buxus sempervirens).

Another thought was Azara serrata (below), which is an easy cutting and has attractively light green "2-ranked" leaves and brown bark. This is a very easy cutting.
azaraserrata3.jpg

cheers Darrel

stuworrall said:
i posted it to my mate who runs green dragon bonsai and he reckons its Fukien tea - Carmona Macrophylla

Thanks stuwarrall, the leaves look similar, but the bark seems to be different and mine has spines.

SteveUK said:
I love the little clay pot it's in. Very Wabi-sabi :)

Yes it is amazing, such a shame, we can not get this kind of pots over here :(

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Definitely could be C. japonica, but I think it might be Pyracantha, which is spiny like Chaenomeles, and a closely related member of the Rosaceae. Both Pyracantha and Chaenomeles are fairly easy as cuttings.

Pyracantha:
Slide14.jpg

I've thought of a couple more evergreen garden shrubs that are relatively easy cuttings and might do, they are the common variegated Euonymus fortunei, Hedging Lonicera, (Lonicera nitida) and Box (Buxus sempervirens).

Another thought was Azara serrata (below), which is an easy cutting and has attractively light green "2-ranked" leaves and brown bark. This is a very easy cutting.
azaraserrata3.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel! well the Pyracantha looks similar, there is a similar rosette with few leaves coming out, but a difference I have noticed is that on mine the tips of the older leaves are splitting in two, a bit like a heart shaped, which is not typical for the Pyracantha/from pictures I have seen so far :) /

The leaves of the Azara serrata looks different as shape. They are a bit like spear shaped, while Sekibokkas' ones are heart shaped.

I have passed our suggestions and the pictures of the Sekibokka to friend of mine, who is a botanist. Hope he can help us out too :)

The manufacturer has not answered my email, probably they do not speak English at all :(

Hi all,
No Azara serrata isn't thorny either, it was a suggestion of a plant that is an easy cutting and might be suitable as a bonsai. If the tip of the leaf on your plant looks like a shallow heart or an "m", then it is almost certainly Pyracantha , as a lot of the leaves do this.

I'd never heard of Carmona microphylla before, just looked it up, it is interesting straight away botanically as it is a woody member of the Boraginaceae (Forget-me-not Family) and I can't think of any others. Looks like it might be a good house plant as well. I think it's proper latin name is Ehretia microphylla, and that would be a name I have heard of.

Looks like it will grow either from seed or a soft cutting, and If I was going to try a bonsai it would probably be the one.

cheers Darrel

Back