• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Deep 130 litre

wow i would of scalped myself scratching my head on how to do a tall tank like this, you pulled it off nicely tho, :clap: and im sure urll overcome the bba

good luck

nayr88 said:
wow i would of scalped myself scratching my head on how to do a tall tank like this, you pulled it off nicely tho, :clap: and im sure urll overcome the bba

good luck

Thanks ryan, glad you like it.

Well its been a good week :thumbup: the dreaded BBA appears to have stabilised, and best of all the 4 SAE i bought are helping me remove the existing growth.
The two pictures show them actually pulling the algae out of the Xmas moss and eating it,,,,,great to watch.
Obviously the hardest thing is to keep the balance right, i think on reflection the fert dosing, and the CO2 were a little low.
On the other hand the Hydor 2800 is performing well. Certainly a lot quieter than my earlier model.
web.jpg

web.jpg

so have you increased you Fert dosing now?

The SAE look like they are doing a good job!

Hygrophila Pinnatifida........

Thought i would try something different, so three weeks ago i bought a tropica Hygrophila pinnati :thumbup:
Very impressed with it, on planting i cut off about 3 ins and planted them along with the rooted plants.
All have taken and have plenty of new growth, the lateral branches now have new shoots growing vertically, and it appears the aerial roots are fastening to the rocks.
I very much like the open aspect foilage, showing several different shades.

At last the BBA seems to be under control. :!: .........dare i say, or have i spoken too soon.

Ive not really changed the amount of CO2 going into the tank. However as suggested by forum members, added a more powerful hydor, and played about with my eheim 2075 outlet. And not forgetting increaseing my ada fert dosing very slightly.
The only thing ive not done was to increase my easycarbo, i have just stayed with the recommended dose.

:clap: Hurrah!!! Hurraaah!!! :thumbup:

Good news its a tough battle, well done!

What about some more recent pics as i know you have been playing around with the way it looks!

Andyh

eternal optimist said:
would love to see how you're progressing with this as I have the same tank.

Hi.
From what ive seen on the forum, i think there could be a couple more with the 620T.
If youve read my journal, you can see that basically, i have the glass tank[no hood/filter] and cabinet.
Simply because i enjoy the open top planted tank. Not to mention it saved me a few ££££.

I will certainly take some pictures and post them for you.
Cheers
Alan

awesome, thanks i'd like to see your scape developing - as someone else mentioned the dimensions of this tank make things a little trickier so respect to you for pulling off such a nice look.

ive kept the trickle filter on with a sawn off intake pipe and removed the top silver band and all silicone as im a big fan of the rimless style tanks. looks cool i think. took a while with disposable razor blades but got there in the end.

ive just converted a faulty aqua one luminaire into a 2 x 18w t5 compact setup taken from the original 620t lid, and planning where to start with all this ei dosing and nutrients to give my plants everything they need.

do you dose supplements, or use co2?

eternal optimist said:
awesome, thanks i'd like to see your scape developing - as someone else mentioned the dimensions of this tank make things a little trickier so respect to you for pulling off such a nice look.

ive kept the trickle filter on with a sawn off intake pipe and removed the top silver band and all silicone as im a big fan of the rimless style tanks. looks cool i think. took a while with disposable razor blades but got there in the end.

ive just converted a faulty aqua one luminaire into a 2 x 18w t5 compact setup taken from the original 620t lid, and planning where to start with all this ei dosing and nutrients to give my plants everything they need.

do you dose supplements, or use co2?

Your a brave man removing the top, but i do agree it gives a nice clean look.
A diy luminaire........... nice one

I have had CO2 from the off, initially a diffuser in the tank, but quickly moved onto the Up In line on my filter return, a brill piece of kit, particularly in a deep tank. If you look at my earlier pictures on this posting, you can see were its fitted.
Here is a picture of my hydrocotyle verticilliata that uprooted and wrapped its self around the wood.
web.jpg

The latest tank picture.
web.jpg

My Chocolate gouramis................one of my favourites.
web.jpg

I have a couple of new plants on order from TGM, for the background, hopefully be here soon.
Cheers

frothhelmet said:
Yeah, I like how the Chocs hide under overhangs. Must look great in the setup you got Alan. Any updates?

Yes they look their best in that situation. :thumbup:
All is not well, :thumbdown: presently fighting BBA, and have been for several weeks,
Will post some pics when, hopefully i get it under control.

Bogwood, do you have hardwater do you know? Sometimes it can be an issue when the water gets very hard. This isn't a fact, just an observation.

Otherwise, it's the usual increase maintenance and co2, add excel, increase water changes spiel.

Garuf said:
Bogwood, do you have hardwater do you know? Sometimes it can be an issue when the water gets very hard. This isn't a fact, just an observation.

Otherwise, it's the usual increase maintenance and co2, add excel, increase water changes spiel.

Thanks for the input Garuf, a fair point. My water is not on the hard side, but seems ok.

By the way hows the snow in Leeds, i was there at the weekend, and the side roads were getting dodgy.?????

This is my original post asking for ideas. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13604

Basically, CO2 levels around the tank are pretty stable, when the light,( now only 1 T5 ) comes on the drop checker, (which i try in different positions) is gn/yellow, and stays green throuhout the period.

Ive settled for a turnover of around 15 times, and im happy the in line diffuser is working fine.

Ferts. Tropica plus daily. double recommended dose of easy carbo. 50% water change each week. Eheim always well maintained, and floss replaced monthly.
Ive been adding fosfo, for the last 2 weeks,

BBA removed daily, returns etc,etc.

On the positive side my fish are great, 12 fat ottos, Shrimps breeding like rabbits, the rest are tip top.
I will not be defeated yet.

What is all the more frustrating, i have a 35ltr with CO2, ferts T5. and the plants are amazing, no sign of BBA, or any algae for that matter. The tank is packed with CPD and Cherry shrimps. And only has a hang on filter,and low flow.

In addition im getting some stick from my 2 sons, both keen fishkeppers. (Andyh being one)

chump54 said:
I like the hydrocotyle verticilliata growing above the surface, adds another level to the scape :thumbup:

Chris

Cheers Chris. one of my favourites. Whats interesting, all non fishkeepers who see my tanks, always pick it out as a favourite.

bogwood said:
Garuf said:

Thanks for the input Garuf, a fair point. My water is not on the hard side, but seems ok.

By the way hows the snow in Leeds, i was there at the weekend, and the side roads were getting dodgy.?????
All that sounds fine to me, try using a syringe to spot dose the excel, worked for me.

I don't really drive so I don't know about the outskirts but where I live in Woodhouse it's real deep, 18inches or so in places. I had been riding my bike in it and getting about in it fine till today it' was just too deep rather than too slippery.

Good to see you tank at the weekend, and great to see your winning the battle against the evil force that is BBA!

Keep it up, the tank is starting to look really good!

A

Re: The Deep 130 litre UPDATE 21/12/2010

Well i finally seem to be winning the WAR against BBA.

Here is my present regime.

-CO2 distribution and circulation ---- i finally seem to have it right..
-Sticking with only one T5.
-Dosing has been TROPICA plus, and Easy carbo, on a daily basis.

In addition for the six weeks i have been adding 15ml every third day of FOSFO. ( on the suggestion of andyh)
Still continuing to spot dose any i see.

As well as reducing the BBA, plant growth is a lot more healthy, and vigorous.

Next year will come the switch to EI dosing.

Back