• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forrest Bridge 300lt. Vid update 5 may. Emergent growth!

chrisfraser05

After planning for nearly 6 months here, Finally is "Forrest Bridge".

I'll start with a little (if boring) intro for those who don't know me.

I've liked the idea of getting a tank for a long long time and have a good friend who works in local tropical fish shop.

In April this year I got myself a 40 liter tank which I promptly overstocked and had to quickly buy an 80lt clearseal as I was doing Very frequent waterchanges in the first few weeks lol

I then started learning, and reading, and spending and ended up with a pair of pretty nice little tanks with some healthy plants in them. Both had gravel substrates but I was making do as I learned with the intention of a much bigger upgrade.

I have to point out here that when a hobby bites me I tend to go all in, try to learn what I can and maybe become a little obsessive?!?

Here being my case in point.....

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01190.jpg

If you are going to do something..... Do it well lol

Anyway. I managed to get my tanks up and running, then had to deploy to Afghanistan :(

Not to worry though, I have a pretty reliable (and patient) wife. I showed her what I wanted her to do, she thankfully kept really good care of my tanks and developed the plants and fish well. On my weeks leave in september I was amazed how good my little tanks were looking. To say I was proud of her was an understatement.

I started my spending spree safe in the knowlege that my plants were growing ready for my new plan...
We had a couple of algae issues, both times she sent me photographs, stuck her hands in and felt it for me, was it slimey, was it powdery etc etc.... I did the research, came up with the solutions. Overcame the problems :)
I was basically maintaining the tanks from 3000 miles away lmao.

Uh oh!!!

My fatherinlaw is rushed into hospital. My wife needed to run to be at his bedside.
Her friend offered to feed the fish and rabbits, my friend offered to come round and do water changes. Sorted... you'd think!

Now my missus forgets to tell her pal how much to feed, also never mentions that the CO2 (tetra optimat) needs done in the morning. My friend, unfamiliar with planted tanks pops round after the first month, changes about 25% water and cleans the glass. Leaves it the second month as he knows I'm due home!

The fatherinlaw is now home and stable :) My tanks was full of BGA, BBA, green algae, brown slime....

Plants wise some of my plants had overtaken the others and had blocked their light. My HC was gone and after trimming BBA off most were almost not worth keeping!!!

Oh well then... best layed plans lol

Re: Along time coming.... Forrest Bridge!

So.... The Spec!

Tank
300lt Aqua one bowfront with stand.

Filtration
Aqua one CF1200
Ehiem ecco pro 130 (600lt)
Korilla 2? (2300lt) powerhead
Korilla copy 3000lt of ebay (cheap as hell :) )

Lighting
2x 30w T8's. Osram 840 and Osram 880 lamps chosen after reading the article on James planted tank.
3x blue LED strips as moonlight for viewing tank outside photoperiod.

Substrate
Westland aquatic compost (pond compost) 2x large bags.
seachem flourite black sand 2x large bags
Small natural coloured pea gravel from my now defunct 40lt.

Ferts
EI using recipie from James planted tank

Plants
(here you will have to forgive me. I was using the tropica cards for alot of my identification but my wife threw them out. Alot of the plants I will have to identify as I go along)
Front left will eventually be HC carpet. Also has some pogostomon helferi.
Stems up above the cliff face. Egeria Densa, Cabomba and the other one (green red, very quick growing).
Rear right. Cobomba again mixed with other quite tall growing leafy plant (lol)
Center Java moss covered piece of wood (the bridge) with large grasses and an amazon sword growing behind.
On the rockface there are various mosses as follows,
weeping moss, flame moss, Japan string moss, fissidents fontinalis, round pelia,
monosolenium tenerum, xmas moss, peacock moss, java moss.

CO2
5kg Fe
TCM dual regulator
Timed Solenoid
Bubble counter
Ebay sourced reactor

Fish
(I have to say that if I had been planning a planted tank right from day one I would have prob gone with a different choice of fish but I refuse to rehome any so I will only expand the numbers of my current stock from here on)
4x Amano shrimp
3x Platys
2x Glass cats
3x Zebra Danios
6x Cloud minnows
2x Kuhli loaches
2x Peppered Corys
6x Endlers guppys
11x Wild green neons
12x Ottos catfsih

soon to be joined my 25 RCS :)

Think thats the lot.... heres a quick pic as a taster.

DSC02629.jpg

Note some of the plants are not looking overly healthy (making a recovery from the old tanks) and the floating stuff lol

Heres some shots of the equipment

DSC02622.jpg

Waterchange kit and electric pump

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

Ehiem Ecco and CO2 reactor.

DSC02625.jpg

Aqua one CF1200 & FE

DSC02626.jpg

The Reg

DSC02627.jpg

DSC02628.jpg

All timed and labled, hopefully make life alot easier lol

DSC02640.jpg

3000lt cheapo pump, on 24/7

DSC02641.jpg

Korilla 2300lt pump, comes on with CO2 and off with lights.

DSC02647.jpg

Outlet from Ehiem, enriched with CO2. Currently comes straight out below the Korilla and is below the spraybar.
Current can be seen to push the water from this straight forward and along the front of the tank before running along the back. I am so far happy the CO2 is reaching all the plants.

DSC02681.jpg

Moonlight. As you can see the home made spraybar runs almost the length of the tank.

The raised forrest
DSC02642.jpg

The cliff face
DSC02643.jpg

DSC02644.jpg

The bridge
DSC02646.jpg

(its deceiving, you could easily get your fist in the gap underneath it)

DSC02645.jpg

Hello!!!

DSC02656.jpg

One of the 3 remaining leaves on the sword after the BBA :(

nice start Chris and a great read!

What is the plant in the center? It's not a non aquatic plant is it?? I may be wrong...

Love the slope of the substrate as well.

A couple of the "Guys"

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

And lastly my secret weapon!!!!

Behind the rockwork I have a cave system created using Plastic tubing meant for hamsters.
The cave system is about 6 inches back behind the face, about 6 inches below the raised forrest and is about 12-14 inches in length.

Here are the 3 hidden entrances.

DSC02654.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02652.jpg

These are currently home to the Amanos and the Kuhlis. The Corys and Platys have been known to go in one entrance and come out another after a few moments though :)

ianho said:
nice start Chris and a great read!

What is the plant in the center? It's not a non aquatic plant is it?? I may be wrong...

Love the slope of the substrate as well.

The long grass type one? I bought it from P@H, I was under the impression they only deal with Tropica so assumed that it would be aquatic. I will look into it though and find out :)

Hopefully I can keep the Journal interesting to keep those who I would like advice from reading it lol

Thanks buddy.

And thanks to EVERYONE on UKAPS for all the advice I have received over the last 8 months. I hope to make you all proud.

I intended doing a step by step on this tank from the initial build but as I was so down trodden by the state of my plants when I got home earlier in the month I really couldn't face it.

Heres to a fresh start and hopefully a good tank lol

Next, learn to take good photos!

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris, we 'meet' again ,tank is looking sweet and looking forward to see how it develops , don't forget you got a pupil looking to you for guidance and inspiration (no pressure)Know what you mean about jumping in to a new hobby with both feet ,it does take over.Best for the future and glad your wife's dad is on the mend
Dave

Along time coming.... Forrest Bridge!

Cheers dave.

I'm going to compile a list of links to my bedtime reading and some of the products I've used either later tonight or tomorrow.

Can't wait to see how it develops either lol

Arrrggghhhhhh!!!

I am sick of pulling clumps of HC from the powerheads and strainers and replanting it!

Think its got something to do with the Corys and Platys :(

ianho said:

Found out about the plant.

Its a spider plant or pongol sword.

Its NON Aquatic!!! Whoops.

Will be looking for a refund from P@H later this afternoon!

Cheers buddy :)

ianho, thanks for pointing out about the Spider Sword :)

I went into P@H and they really couldn't be helpfull enough. They took my point, offered exchange and even removed the stuff they still had from the display lol

Got some more Vallisneria nana to replace it. The Nana I already have seems to be growing well already so it'll do for now :)

2 bucket method perchance?

Ditch the Meguiars liquid wax though, you'd be way better off with something more substantial like Pete's 53, looks amazing on darker coloured cars ;)

reardec09.jpg

frontdec09.jpg

Check out Comma Rain Clear Gel too, lasts WAY better than RainX and is less smeary to apply - that or some AquaPel for 6mnths life per coat.

2 bucket all the way bud ;)

The megs was a gift, my usual fare is Poorboys black hole (iirc), really retains the depth between machine polishes!

Loving the Astra bud, was toying with white wheels and it goes to show.... they look the danglies!

Black Hole is a glaze, I wonder if it would be good applied over a decent wax, should give more durability and lastability :)

And cheers yeah, aside from being a right pain to keep clean, white on black (or any primary colour) works in my opinion :)

A few tweaks under the LPG powered hood too, but only a 1.6 16v :)

Bet its better on the fuel than mine though lol

Mines a Cammed 2.6!

Update 03 Jan

Right, another week of replanting HC and the odd little play and trim along the way.

Firstly, what have I learned this week?

Corys are the least helpfull fish when trying to grow an HC carpet!
Every morning I am replanting the ever dwindling amount of HC. The corys have now progressed to following the tweesers and picking it out while I'm planting the next bit!
I decided on Saturday to be a little territorial and chased off the female cory (biggest culprit) with my tweesers...
If fish could laugh she was doing it! She danced around litterally playing with me and playing chicken with the tweesers.
Moral of that one, the corys will win :(

Next thing I learned is that vallisneria nana is really quite a quick grower in a high nutrient/co2 tank.
I had a bit of this transferred from my old tank and though it would look good having a little nearer the front infront of the rocks.
Bad idea, this stuff was putting out shoots all over!!!! WOW!
Removed loads of it and have replanted it nearer the back alongside the stuff I collected from P@H the other day.

The Spider sword (non aquatic) has gone making way for some more nana and the cabomba is starting to really take off :)

Lastly I have got a little prob with what I think is BBA near the front at the center of the tank.
I reckon alot of the prob is BBA having been transfered from the old tank after the disaster but am open to suggestion.
Flow really shouldn't be an issue in this area and CO2 is defo not a prob, nearly gassed the fish on Wednesday and am back down to 3bps.
I will continue to cut off effected leaves and hopefully it will not return. Certainly there has been no return of BBA on the leaves on any of the stems at the back left and right after the cropping last week.

Thanks for reading, chris

DSC02688.jpg

DSC02689.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

DSC02691.jpg

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02694.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

DSC02698.jpg