• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants transfering whitespot ?

niknaksky

Hi all,

Quick question what is the best thing to do with plants that have been in a tank infected with whitespot ?

My dad is throwing out a large anubias on bogwood but he has whitespot at the moment.

How can i make the anubias and wood safe to put in my tank ?

I was going to just leave it in a bucket for a week will this be enough ?

he bought a fish that was being picked on because he felt sorry for it but had no quarantine tank so we are thinking that is what started it as his tank is kept in good order.

So i am going to setup a quarantine tank for him for future use.

But i want this plant he dont want anymore as its a nice big anubias thats been in various tanks for years but dont want to infect my tank.

niknaksky said:
he bought a fish that was being picked on because he felt sorry for it but had no quarantine tank so we are thinking that is what started it as his tank is kept in good order.

So i am going to setup a quarantine tank for him for future use.

But i want this plant he dont want anymore as its a nice big anubias thats been in various tanks for years but dont want to infect my tank.

Fish generally get picked on because they are weak or ill. It's usually best to stay away from them unless you can quarantine them. Stressed, injured or ill fish that are being picked on are are particularly prone to disease. As long as your fish are strong and healthy, you shouldn't transfer anything nasty by putting that plant in.

Tom

My tank has only finished cycling about a week ago do you think it is worth soaking the plant in whitespot treatment for a couple of days or do you think that it may harm the plant ?

This parasite has a life cycle. The key is to speed it up and leave it with no fish to infect, then all the parasites will die.

"The parasites spend a portion of their life cycle embedded beneath the skin of the fish, where they feed from the body tissue. The white cyst in which they are enclosed gives the characteristic white spots. Adults emerge from these cysts and fall to the floor of the aquarium, where they multiply inside a protective capsule. Some time later, the capsule bursts, releasing hundreds of free-swimming infectious parasites which attach themselves to new hosts."

Put the plant in a bucket at a temp that is high but the plant will tolerate, this will speed up the life cycle of the parasite. This life cycle is highly dependent on water temperature, and the entire life cycle takes from approximately 7 days at 25 °C (77 °F) to 8 weeks at 6 °C (43 °F). If the parasite has no fish to infect then it will die.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyophthirius_multifiliis

Back