• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l

Re: “Nano Tor”, Andyh's 35l (Lighting Test 29-12-10)

Tank looks beautiful mate. Your HC really did come up well with the close pruning. Your shrimp look very happy all out in the open :)

Your threadfins are amazing! I am sold, I am going to buy some.

What type of moss is that you are growing? It looks very healthy indeed! Well done. I am asuming that you have been trimming it?

Mark Evans said:
great little test mate. Looks 99% accurate too....really important. good job.
The rock layout is pretty sweet too ;)
Cheers, i think so :geek:
I am please with the rocks it took me ages to get them looking right, i will be happy once the plants soften it a little.
bogwood said:
Whats that monster lurking in the rear right corner. :twisted:
Get a in line heater fitted. :lol:
Yeah yeah, i waiting for the new hydor inlines to be released! :shh:

George Farmer said:
Looking good, Andy! :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing the lighting comparisons.
Have you considered shooting with manual white balance mode? With auto WB the camera will attempt to 'best guess' the colour balance and make adjustments automatically. If you set manual WB i.e. Daylight the differences in colour rendition will be even more apparent. This said, the differences are quite obvious, even though you're shooting full auto.
Great work!
Top advice George, next time i will try mannual white balance, i understand what ur saying.

FishBeast said:
Tank looks beautiful mate. Your HC really did come up well with the close pruning. Your shrimp look very happy all out in the open :)
Your threadfins are amazing! I am sold, I am going to buy some.
What type of moss is that you are growing? It looks very healthy indeed! Well done. I am asuming that you have been trimming it?
Thanks for your comments, The threadfins were cool, but i no longer have them they had some sort of infection and didnt survive that long :arghh:
The moss is mini spiky moss i think :? Lots of trims to keep it compact and healthy
Mark Evans said:
How did the trimming go dude? :geek:
...on the other tank!
The lounge tank is going to be getting a new years day major trim, tidy and w/c watch the journal for updates. Gonna cut the tennelus right back :geek:

Day 17 Update

Things going really well in terms of the tank, apart from my trusty heater died on me! So please ignore the big heater in these pics, will be getting a replacement soon! Temp dropped to 19c, only lost one fish so far (Badis).

I had to drop the light back a little as i started to get a light dusting of Algae on the tops of the main stones. Just running 1x24w now.

DAY ONE
web.jpg

DAY 17 (different tubes used on this pic)
web.jpg

The Micranthemum has finally started growing, it melted a fair bit, so i pruned back all the leaves and waited :geek: Its growing in several places along the back, its got a really nice shape to the plant.
web.jpg

The Lilaeposis is throwing out runners all over the place, my only concern is that some of the leaves are looking a little yellow (not shown in this picture), Does that mean its lacking something?
The HC is spreading well, i pruned it hard again about 10 days ago and the growth is coming back now.
web.jpg

I am slowly running out of the ADA products, i intend to switch to EI once i have used them all.

As you can see i am keeping this tank as spotless as i can, i even bought a mini wire brush for scrubing the rocks (GF style :lol: )

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (update 17/01/2011)

Hello :wave:

Just a couple of pics i took earlier:

Been to Aquajardin today, bought two plants, some more HC to fill the gap on the front right never bought enough originally. I then also replaced the Rotala Wallichil with Pogostemom Erectus, back right hidden behind the rock ( i have tried this before and failed!).
I am really happy with the growth in here. The rocks have got a little green but i will have my brush out at the weekend and give them a scrub :geek:
web.jpg

One of my new cool Sulawesi shrimps :D By the way this pic doesn't really show it, buts his spots are blue!
web.jpg

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (update 17/01/2011)

bogwood said:
Looking good Andy. :thumbup:
Dont scrub the rocks too hard, i think your new shrimps will feel at home grazing stones.
Cheers! When you coming down to visit next?
They are constantly grazing the rocks :geek:
Dan Crawford said:
That looks lovely mate :) Loving the green on the rocks, looks really natural!!
Hey Dan! How you doing dude? Long time no speak. Yes i have to agree the rocks do look cool, i have recently adapted the George farmer school of thinking with the rocks and been scrubbing them with a brush to keep them looking fresh. I may leave it for a while and see how they look.
George Farmer said:
web.jpg

Love the Sulawesi shrimp! Where do you get them from and how much? Any specific requirements?

They are seriously cool, and i cant stress how good they actually look. I havent taken a photo yet which does them justice.

Ok some data:

Common name; Cardinal Shrimp, although i have seem them labelled as many different things.
Scientfic Name; Caridina sp. "Cardinal"
Conditions; PH 7.0+ as minimum (up to 8.5) with a min temp of 26c
Location; Sulawesi, Indoneisa
Sizes: up to 1" (defo smaller than cherry/CRS etc)

I am keeping mine at Ph of just over 7.0, with very mature amazonia which is probaly 18months old and Seiryu stone which increases PH. So that should be fine. The tank needs to be very mature and stable no traces of ammonia etc.
Feeding them mixture of shrimp foods, although they seem very happy grazing the Algae at the moment.

The redness can vary from dark (amost maroon) through to bright pillar box red. The spots on some of them can appear blue which looks unreal. Mine seem to be varied. I currently have four.

I bought them from a Maidenhead store and paid £7.50 per shrimp, it was the first time i had seen them. Although i have heard that a few places are starting to get them. :shh: I did hear that Waterzoo can get them George.

They are listed on many sites as difficult to keep, so watch this space!

Looking good, I have kept those beauties before and they are awesome to watch, they look nothing like freshwater shrimp. I also got mine from MA, there is a seller on ebay that usually stocks them also.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good, I have kept those beauties before and they are awesome to watch, they look nothing like freshwater shrimp. I also got mine from MA, there is a seller on ebay that usually stocks them also.
Thought you had Paulo, how did you find them? o_O

The tanks really coming along mate, and the shrimp looks amazing! :O

As you say they look nothing like freshwater shrimp at all, I had the pleasure of visting a few shops around that way monday as I was visiting my sister who lives in Spalding, so we went to waterzoo and the 2 local MA, was good to see that mammoth tank they have in the garden centre MA. Shame there smaller previously stunning planted nano's where very algae-fied haha.

Good luck with the shrimp pal :D

The Dennerli are a stunning Cardinal....I think if you can keep them for over 4 wks then they should survive as the transit shock and poor water quality at the LFS tends to make the mortality rate considerable. Although getting the PH and water stability is another factor.

MA order and get them from their Indonesian distributor and I've yet to see anyone have major success in breeding a colony in the Uk. Let's hope you have great success.....!!

How are you preparing the water..? R/O with a buffering chemical or have you the perfect tap ..?

Very intersted to hear your thoughts... thx Chris

nayr88 said:
The tanks really coming along mate, and the shrimp looks amazing! :O

As you say they look nothing like freshwater shrimp at all, I had the pleasure of visting a few shops around that way monday as I was visiting my sister who lives in Spalding, so we went to waterzoo and the 2 local MA, was good to see that mammoth tank they have in the garden centre MA. Shame there smaller previously stunning planted nano's where very algae-fied haha.

Good luck with the shrimp pal :D

Cheers Dude! The shrimps are very cool lets hope i can look after them properly!

Anubia said:
The Dennerli are a stunning Cardinal....I think if you can keep them for over 4 wks then they should survive as the transit shock and poor water quality at the LFS tends to make the mortality rate considerable. Although getting the PH and water stability is another factor.

MA order and get them from their Indonesian distributor and I've yet to see anyone have major success in breeding a colony in the Uk. Let's hope you have great success.....!!

How are you preparing the water..? R/O with a buffering chemical or have you the perfect tap ..?

Very intersted to hear your thoughts... thx Chris

Chris

You seem to know a lot about these chaps, should i be coming to you for advice?
My derbyshire tap water comes about of the tap on the right side of seven, plus with regular water changes and an incredibly mature tank and filter i hope i can provide the right environment. I have managed to keep most other shrimps species and get them to breed. So fingers crossed! Plus i have done a fair old bit of research on these shrimps :geek:
I have decided that if these four chaps survive and acclimatise well i will buy another group of say 4-6 and reduce the number of other shrimp in the tank to see if i cant get them breeding.

Cheers
Andyh

Evening :wave:

Here is a few pics from tonight, i have been busy pruning.

I trimmed the HC all over, especially the leggy runners, and re planted where i could.
The Lilaeopsis has been trimmed down to about 15mm all over the tank. I left the Micranthemum as it finally growing well, b4 i attack it with the scissors wanted to make sure its established.

I have completed a water change tonight, but even so the tank is pearling like a demon!

The HC carpet is getting there:
web.jpg

Pruned!
web.jpg

web.jpg

Full tank shot:
web.jpg

Cheers for looking
Andyh

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (Pruned)

Almost there with the carpet andy, very healthy too.

How are the new shrimp getting on?

Love the layout of the tank Andy, can't wait for the HC to fill in

nayr88 said:
Almost there with the carpet andy, very healthy too.

How are the new shrimp getting on?

Yes the Hc is doing well and seems to be responding each prune i give it, The shrimps are cool, shy compared to the CRS and cherries but still quite cool. Unfortunatley i have had either a CO2 spike or over dosed EI and have lost a few shrimp defo one of the Cardinals :( I have sorted the problem now, and i hope to get things back on track and probably get a few more in the coming weeks.
logi-cat said:
Love the layout of the tank Andy, can't wait for the HC to fill in

Cheers Dude, me to the HC seems to be taking ages but i am keep it pruned flat so that probably doesn't help ;)

Interestingly i am chucking lots of light into this tank and so far no real problems, i have 48w (2 x 24w 8000k T5) running seven hours a day. Since upping the light the HC and Micranthemum has sprung to life.

Back