• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt Tank...

Ben M

Hi, I have decided to rescape my 4ft tank as a crypt only tank (with a couple of exceptions). However, I'm not fully decided as to which species to get. I'd really appreciate it if people could post some crypt species they know of and whether they are foreground (0-5cm), midground (10-15cm) or background (up to 45cm).

I am not really sure as to how tall each species really grows, as there is so much contradicting info on the web.

For Background I really like cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae, but other than that I am stuck for background crypts.

For midground I am thinking of things like C. beckettii, C. wendtii 'green' and 'brown' and C. willisii.

And for the foreground, C. parva, although I can't think of any more foreground crypts.

cheers :D

I can tell you that I have had wendtii 'green' in my tank for over 7 years, they grow to about 150mm high if I let them but, I keep them at around 100mm.
I can also tell you that once established they are very prolific & fast growing!

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

Can't recall the name, but there is a very small crypt which I think George Farmer may have used recently ish, but it was expensive.

Small crypts:

cryptocoryne amicorum
cryptocoryne parva

Mid:
wendtii any

Tall:
Cryptocoryne balansae

And of course others :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the replies guys! BTW foxfish, your crypts look amazingly healthy. What are your tank specs with regards to lighting, CO2 and ferts?

And thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a look on plantedtanks.co.uk to see what they stock that is suitable.

I was going to possibly buy from AE as well, but all of their Aquafleur plants are out of stock. Do you know when they might get another delivery in?

So, for the background:
C. balansae.

Midground:
C. wendtii 'green', 'brown' and 'green gecko' if they stock it.

Foreground:
C. parva
C. amicorum

I'm going to have a search for some more, and If anybody else has any more ideas, please don't hesitate to post! :thumbup:

cheers :D

Just the standard high tec set up at the moment - T5, EI, pressurised gas etc.
Like I say they grow very fast & send out runners all over the place, in fact to fast for my liking but, I do seem to remember the original plants took ages to settle down & get growing.
I could possibly send you a few runners in a few week time, I just wont nip them off for a couple weeks.

pest control said:
Thanks for the replies guys! BTW foxfish, your crypts look amazingly healthy. What are your tank specs with regards to lighting, CO2 and ferts?

And thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a look on plantedtanks.co.uk to see what they stock that is suitable.

I was going to possibly buy from AE as well, but all of their Aquafleur plants are out of stock. Do you know when they might get another delivery in?

I buy usually from planted tanks, quite a lot actually, but my tank is high tech, lots of CO2 and lots of ferts.

Although planted tanks plants are good, for your situation I would advise you to buy Tropica plants, their crypts are very good, and well established.

Give a call to TGM, they will help you out for sure, and they stock Tropica.

For example, I bought today a Tropica Myoya for just under £5 in a London shop, large pot, lots of plants and very healthy, one pot is more than enough for my tank.

If you just want crypts, and have a low tech setup then get a large plant, that has lots of nutrients already on the rhyzome, that is my advice.

Back