• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 distribution and surface loss

idris

I'm thinking more seriously about preasurised CO2.

I was expecting to have the return pipe from the filter at the top of the tank and I'd like to use an inline atomiser/diffuser (so all the plumbing is out of sight and in the cupboard, not the tank). Because the tank is 2'6" high, will there be issues with significant CO2 being lost from the surface of the water without it getting down to the bottom of the tank?
(I know it's possible, and cheap, to hide a seperate diffuser at the bottom of the tank, but I'd rather avoid this if I can.)

It will all depend how your flow is in the tank - use of an extra pump (or two!) such as a Koralia may be beneficial to ensure the CO2 and other nutrients reach all areas of the tank.

Your loss will depend on how long the diffused co2 is in contact with the water before exiting in to the tank and how much gets absorbed. As suggested putting a Koralia or similar at the exit point and directing the flow down and in to the tank will help. If the Co2 is entering as small diffused bubbles just follow them and with a bit of work moving the exit point possibly deeper and using any wood or plants to help control and direct the flow yo will get there. Put your drop checker on the opposite side from this exit point and again you will have a better idea of the saturation or escape. :clap: Have fun. :)

I take the point about a Koralia, but I'm trying to keep as much plumbing out of the tank as possible. I think hiding a small diffuser in the tank would be easier than a pump.

I'd understood that the convention was to have the take-off pipe at the bottom of the tank and the return at the top, but are there any pros / cons to just having them the other way round, or both at the bottom? Would this help with CO2 loss?

I guess the best way foward is to set up as best you think and use the drop checker to give true test results. I understand the bit about the clean look of the tank but circulation is everything. Once you have a bit of plant growth in the tank you could hide in there yourself :D never mind a wee Koralia. The longer the CO2 is in contact with the water the better, and the lesser the loss regards Colin.

Back