• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long till you give up?

A

Anonymous

I'm having dreadfull trouble lately, I thought I was getting somewhere but the last couple of attempts have been useless. My question is, how long do you wait till you decide to give up on a scape? I'm not very good at actually aquascaping but I do like to see how the plants grow in and fill out. My last attempt has been running for nearly 3 months and seems to be going nowhere. Very little appreciable growth, and one problem after another.
Or am I being just a little bit impatient?

Everyone is different :)

Some on here seem to plant, grow, trim, grow then re-scape! Money is the hold back for me, I can't really afford to re-scape that often so my aquarium is usually a gradual state of flux and perhaps is therefore never finished!

3 months isn't long in the grand scheme of things, sometimes a small change like removing a rock can bring inspiration for a new direction.

Best thing I can think of is to have a look at Logs/Projects or whatever the place is where folk put up pix of their tanks. That way you'll get ideas and there's nothing wrong with copying somebody else's design if it helps you out.
Google for fish tank aquascaping and see what you come up with.
Is your tank hi or low tech? Whichever it is then Google for that, but there are sections on this forum that should help you with scaping.

Angela

PS: Journals, that's it, my brain had gone nead for a while there!

Yes you are being impatient .. I've been fighting with a scape (algae, poor growth, trimming) for over an year and I don't give up!! :lol:

Thanks for all your suggestions, :D
angelah said:
Is your tank hi or low tech? Whichever it is then Google for that, but there are sections on this forum that should help you with scaping.
Well, as of 10 mins ago, its lo tek. Mainly due to me being a clumsy hyper active idiot and breaking my diffuser! :mad:
Actually going lo tek might be the way to go, ive been putting in a lot of work with no result so perhaps ive earn't a lie down.
Dont know what i'm doing though so soon off to the lo tek section to rob other ppl's brilliance!
clonitza said:
Yes you are being impatient .. I've been fighting with a scape (algae, poor growth, trimming) for over an year and I don't give up!! :lol:
Oh. Point taken, perhaps this will slow me down, What will I do with myself if there's no water changes? :wideyed: I'll deffinitely stick it out a bit longer then.
nry said:
Some on here seem to plant, grow, trim, grow then re-scape! Money is the hold back for me, I can't really afford to re-scape that often so my aquarium is usually a gradual state of flux and perhaps is therefore never finished!
Yep, with you there it is expensive even with a little tank. Usually tho come the end of a scape Ive got enough clippings to rescape without spending too much, this time its all a bit spartan.

asia-9.jpg

This is what I have now, ill just have to read a few hundred books or something while I wait.

You have the basis of the a good 'scape there. Nice plant growth with good foreground and background. :thumbup:

Consider adding a strong midground, as it lacks a focal point. It could be wood/rocks or more plants, or both.

bcoldwine said:
Well, as of 10 mins ago, its lo tek. Mainly due to me being a clumsy hyper active idiot and breaking my diffuser!
Beware that going from a CO2-enriched to a non-CO2 can result in algae issues. If you do decide on non-CO2 then take a look at lowering lighting intensity/photoperiod and adjusting nutrient dosing.

Finally - don't give up! :D

George Farmer said:
You have the basis of the a good 'scape there. Nice plant growth with good foreground and background. :thumbup:
I feel quite faint!
George Farmer said:
Beware that going from a CO2-enriched to a non-CO2 can result in algae issues. If you do decide on non-CO2 then take a look at lowering lighting intensity/photoperiod and adjusting nutrient dosing.
Joking aside, ahem. I have lowered light down to one 11W bulb, and i'll shall cease with dosing henceforth.
George Farmer said:
Consider adding a strong midground, as it lacks a focal point. It could be wood/rocks or more plants, or both.
Your right of course, but there is a string of lovely dark crypts hanging out just to stage right. But due to a combination of poor photography and poor growth, you cant see them... Perhaps i'll invest in some new diffusors...

i say you just need to persevere with this one, Crypts is what i see and crypts take a while to grow, your doing well to be growing them as they melt very quick if something is to fault, so you must be doing something right, Plus it all looks clean so your upkeep is top notch! dont rush things, give it time, dont feel beaten when you see others scapes, yours is unique to yourself, After all its you that has to stare at it on a daily basis. Beleaveing everone elses is better than your own is the biggest killer to inspiration within your own scape! That can sometimes drive people to think that there scape is going nowhere and give them the feeling to rescape the scape before it has even had time to develope into its true potentual. Be patient and reep the rewards! Your on the right path, And i agree with the comment of adding a forground be it rocks or wood or plants. Stay on it! Nice one!

Yours Chilled! :D

hi,
well i think it looks very nice, but as previous posters have already mentioned, the addition of a focal point would be good, don't be afraid to have a little fiddle or a tweak, you can always put things back if you're unhappy with the results and it should help to expend some of your hyperactivity. for me anyway, sitting and watching a tank of crypts reach maturity would in inevitably result in boredom!
cheers,
bazz!

Back