• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photoshop CS5 Content aware Fill tool

tyrophagus

Hi

I've been stitching together some panoramas in photoshop. They tend to have edges that need cropping after the process of stitching and blending. This image is 7 Nikon D200 Nef files taken in portrait orientation and stitched together. Usually I'd crop out the white areas. (ps. i have not applied any post processing to the file except stitching - it needs some tweaking)

Close up of left corner

before.jpg

So instead of cropping this area I decided to see if the new "content aware fill" tool would work and I chose the left bottom corner to show you the results. It rocks! Ok, its not perfect, but look at how well the program fills the space automatically. [you select the space needing replacing and the program fills it by analysing the content of the area around the selected fill area]

after.jpg

And here is the full image. I've done nothing but apply this content aware fill tool with about 5 clicks of the mouse.

after%20full.jpg

before:

before%20full.jpg

Now before the purists amongst you jump in :) I can see some repetition of elements in the picture and its not ideal to add to a photograph in post processing. Grass is a difficult thing to clone! Isn't it amazing what technology can do!

By the way that's Ambleside and Lake Windemere.

Back