• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Really need some help confused??

alan_uk

Hi everyone,

Id really like some help if possible im stuck and on the verge of giving up on plants

i recently had my tank set-up with akadama,moss peat and osmocote, using 2 54watt t5ho lights 6500k daylight tubes all my plants were growing great but did have algae issues,

i decided to take the tank down and change i did so and added osmocote again to the floor of the tank with a sand substrate over the top, im also using the same lighting on for same 5 hour a day period.

in previous set-up i used no ferts at all but did use diy co2

when i changed the tank i only kept java fern, needle java fern, java fern windelov, peacock moss, spikey moss, java moss, anubias nana, amazon sword, vallis straight version, crypt wendtii green.

i made a vital mistake of firstly having the plants out on a dry tray while i cleaned the tank and then again when filling the tank with cold water from hose pipe,
after 24 hours the amazon swords, vallis and crypts were showing signs of melt and browning going saee through, also after 48 hours the anubias was starting to brown and holes appearing in leaves and snapping off only old leaves, and then the very strange part my java ferns started to brown then just snap off stems were soft and sloppy brown and leaves doing the same, i had a large java windelov which i have had to pull to bits this morning due to the roots and leaves just rotting and ive always had great growth from java fern even in a basic tank.

i have no idea whats happening ive now pulled everything off which was dead or dying from all plants and the vallis has threw out a few new shoots but im still baffled whats happening can anyone help ??

im really wanting the tank to be no co2 no ferts and sand substrate but have added the osmocote to help roots although i did add quite a bit (could this be a problem)?

only other thing i can think of was when i done a 5 bucket water change 3 days ago on filling the water smelt very strongly of chlorine could this be the problem ?

as i say im at the end of the road now and about to give up on plants as there is just nothing i can think of.

tank is 6x18x18

Few issues I'd think of...

* Having the plants sitting in trays for so long - that's going to nuke many of the leaves which will deteriorate as you found
* DIY CO2 with that level of lighting and size of aquarium is going to be problematic, DIY is inherently going to give unstable CO2 levels hence algae problems
* What fertliser dosing do you use? No mention in your post
* Chlorine smell - unsure, I find my water is quite 'smelly' but it's treated before it goes in the tank and never had any issues

Also like starting new
No co2 no ferts any fish? Just sand and osmocote no soil under sand no co2 produced the plants would of used all avaable co2 in the first day or so water change would of added some back but not much. If you want to continue down the no ferts/co2 route you need to read some of the posts in the low tech section
Matt

when i was using the diy co2 before my plants were all great

im using no ferts or co2 now as i dont have the patience or time to mess about all the time which is why i chose plants that need neither

i think youve hit the nail on the head with only having 2 shrimp there will be no nutrients as everything was new apart from the remainder of my cannister filter and having no fish cold water and and the plants sat in the tray for 5 hours i think thats whats happend if i add fish now as my water is all good do you think the plants will get better and survive ?

Fish will help but from what I've read you need fairly heavy stocking to compensate for no ferts you could always add some ferts and easy carbo until you've got your stocking levels up and then gradually reduce both ferts and ec just a thought ? That way your plants will recover quicker and be stronger for when your ready to lower your fert ec levels
Matt

i have just bought some root tabs with iron and pottasium with this the osmocote and t5 lighting and when i get the fish in there is this enough for

crypt wendtii green
amazon sword
vallis
java fern
anubias
mosses to grow should i up lighting period from 5 hours daily ? or should i keep it at that ?

i know in an ideal world i should of kept the peat and soil but i really didnt like the look and mess it brought and have always been a sand fan plus i dont want the expense of using co2 and liquid ferts and if i went to dried ferts i would only mess it up and cause algae problems and what not this way if my plants grow and survive thats all i want and to be able to watch and enjoy the fish rather than it being a job lol

Don't let anyone else on here hear you say ferts cause algae!
Whilst the tank is maturing I would add some ferts the osmocote and root tabs are ok but you will still need some npk
Also some easy carb until you've upped your stocking levels
All the plants you've listed are low light so you could even drop to 1 tube and you could up the photo period to 6 hours but I wouldn't go any higher until the tank is more settled
Matt

thing is how long would i need to add ferts and would it 100% bring my plants back as every 6 or so hours my java fern is going a blacky/grey colour and having to pull leaves.

i also noticed funny brown patches on anubias leaves and drooping leaves which i just cant understand ? will this come back to life ?

if so what do i need to add and how much daily/weekly ?

Couldn't say 100% that doing any of these things will bring your plants back
They could be beyond reviving but adding some ferts and ec will give them the best chance
Also couldn't say how long if it was me I would add ferts and ec until the plants were showing good signs of recovery then gradually drop them down
But if you are adding and the plants just keep getting weaker then they may be beyond recovery
You can but try
Matt

cheers for all your help

what do you reccomend

i will get some easylife easy carbo

what ferts do you reccomend

and how much as the tank is 300 litre :)

also were from if you could help there too

If you wanted a pre mixed all in one then you can't get better than tpn+ make sure it's the + as this has the npk
If you want dry salts then you need kno3 ,kh2po4 and a trace mix all can be found at forum sponsors I get mine at fluid sensor online I dose using a teaspoon have a look on James planted tank website for dosing amounts but don't forget that the dosing levels on James site are fir heavily planted high light tanks
Matt

thanks again for your help i have decided to go for tpn+ and easycarbo ive just posted in correct section for help on dosing amounts as im a total numpty on the subject but have decided ill use them long term as there not as expensive as i thought :)

Back