• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which reactor 500 or 1000??

toadass

Hi all :wave:

I'm just in the process of setting up my first planted tank, I have decided to go with pressurised co2.
The tank is 200 litres, and would like to keep as much equiptment out of the tank as possible.
I have seen that Aquamas is highly rated and see that they also do a complete set up, I plan to have the tank quite heavily planted.

I'm just wondering what benefits I would get out of the 1000 litre reactor compared to the 500? Both reactors are external. http://www.aquamas.de/products/CO2-Anla ... Liter.html .or http://www.aquamas.de/products/CO2-Anla ... Liter.html .

Also media with or without? Is the flow more important than dissolving of the co2?

The tank will be powered by 2 external filters with a total of 2800 lph, 1400 each. I didn't know if power of the filter would have effects on the size of reactor that I require?

Many thanks for your time and efforts guys :thumbup:

Toad

Hi toad for sure the filter will have a massive effect on the reactor and vice versa. The filter will be lucky to produce 6 or 700l of flow after the media and hoses are connected and it all gets running. The problem thereafter is that the reactor gets introduced to that already dropped flow. The reactor needs a considerable flow to operate as its the flow that causes the reaction. If the flow is not great enough the reactor will just collect a big co2 bubble and no reaction :(
The way round this that i used was to fit an extra pickup and return and a eheim circ pump. Now the 2off filters do there own thing and the circ pump on the co2 timer makes ease of the reaction. The other good bit of news was my co2 use is now 50% of what it once was as liitle or no waste. I have zero co2 bubbles entering the tank from the reactor outlet, just a very green drop checker and amazing growth :clap:

Hi Colin thanks for the tip mate

Hi toad for sure the filter will have a massive effect on the reactor and vice versa. The filter will be lucky to produce 6 or 700l of flow after the media and hoses are connected and it all gets running.

Ye pretty certain of that, I was just wondering as it's only a 200 litre tank,do I really need the 1000litre reactor? It just seems to be the size that the majority of people use despite of their tank size.
I think the 500 litre reactor is quite new... as an external reactor?

The way round this that i used was to fit an extra pickup and return and a eheim circ pump.

Do you have any links on this please? I've never seen it in use.

Using the reactor through the filters releases the co2 through the spray bars that I will be using, can this still be done via the circ pump?

Many Thanks Toad

Hi toad if you go on to the Aqua Medic website and look at the http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs ... r_1000.pdf link you will see how its done. Dont worry about the co2 controller. Let the drop checker tell you whats going on as well as the livestock. The reactor in the link will easily do all you need and might be easier to pickup. :thumbup: I and some of the other guys on here have taken out the bio balls as the just seem to get pretty mucky and reduce the flow. I think some people have used various thing internally to help with the smashing up of the co2, but I no problem with 100% absorbtion with the pump setup I have. In other words no visible bubbles which I and others dont like. All they do is rise and pop and you have lost co2 :thumbdown: Have fun Colin. :D

:wave:

Ye Foxfish, I did think about the inline diffuser but it's just the issue I hear about the misting, I've not seen it personally only by video, so can't comment too much about the misting. Just as a personal preference i'd like to keep the water as clear as possible.

As you said though the reactors that are stated seem to be mush alike, I'm favouring towards the Aquamas 1000 at the mo. As I also need a reg & solenoid ect, I was thinking of buying their complete package, not too sure about delivery of the co2 though o_O

Toad

Back