• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 distribution

pauld

has anyone useing a upatomiser ever tried putting the spray bar at the bottom of the tank at the back holes pointing straight forward , koralia at the top on the back pointing forward this should keep co2 in the tank longer before bubbleing off it seems to obvious . has anyone tried it ? or can see a reason it wont work ?

Like Sam i haven't tried it but if you put the spray bar along the top at the back pointing slightly down, depending on how powerful your flow is, it should create a natural tumble of water across the the top of the tank leading down and in to the tank. The plants or putting in some fish food should confirm this. If you then put the atomiser below the Koralia as deep as you can see how that does? The Koralia will smash it up a bit more and direct it and if you can get it in to the tumble the spraybar creates you have won :thumbup: In theory it will then go for a trip round the tank and not to the surface :thumbup: The longer it stays in the tumble the more time to absorb and less co2 used :clap: Have fun trying :thumbup:

Coiln3107 an up atomised is an inline diffuser and attaches to the filter outlet hose
Matt

Hi Matt yeah could not agree more. I even went and looked at one on Aqua Essentials web site UP CO2 Atomiser 20 before I answered the queation. So as I said in my answer if you can get the atomiser low in the tank on the outlet of the filter hose and put the Koralia above it the escaping atomised co2 would be blown in to the tank no? :?

Great point and one of the ones I was trying to get over. As you say follow the mist and you can see where the co2 is going.

Yep that is the one, very effective & highly recommended especially for beginners as they really help you to understand about C02 distribution.
However there are a few issues that some folk dont like - the mist they produce is quite visible, more so when you get close up rather than from your arm chair though.
They also produce considerable back pressure & test your C02 line connections.
You will need a decent quality bubble counter with secure fitting.
Not really an issue if you have good kit & take care installing it.
On the plus side, they are very cheap & extremely effective.

How does the mist from these compare the the cheaper Boyu inline diffusers?

I used one for some time, and they are very good. You can turn your injection rate down significantly. Dont presume that the same bubble count you used with the diffuser is going to work with the up atomizer, it will probably have to be reduced. They are more efficient. However, they are probably best used on tanks greater or equal to 20g as on a smaller setup they tend to be overkill. Ive gone back to a difuser even though it means using a bit more gas. I found it very hard to get the setting right, and I found the bubbles a bit annoying.
I think the advantage to having the spraybar at the top is simply because the flow of co2 rich water stays longer in the water column. Flow goes parralel along the surface then down the front glass across the substrate then back up. If you put it lower down it can only go up.

Back