• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60x30x36

bonelez

Seedling
kalina816.jpg

kalina817.jpg

kalina824.jpg

kalina829.jpg

kalina836.jpg

kalina843.jpg

841p.jpg

Day first.

60x30x36 - German made opti-white tank
Amazonia normal + powder+ other ADA stuff
ADA Mantenseki
Eheim classic 2215 - 600 l/h
Currently 2x24W T5HO 6500K - to be upgraded to 2x36PL-L later on

The aquarium is already a week and half old. Currently facing progressive HC melting :D Hope, that it will be all over soon after the pH stabilizes (6,5 at the moment)

Any critics and comments more than welcome.

Cheers!

Dani

great start, i luuuuuurve ada haha care to share what the substrate additives are?

really like the layout, id definatly add another filter, upgrade your filter or at very least at a koralia.

good luck ill be keeping an eye on this one :)

Thats a fantastic start, already looks like its been growing for at least a week haha :) Good Job :thumbup:

Cheers mates! Thanks for the positive feedback!

The substrate additives are as follows:
- Penac P for plants
- Penac W for aquarium
- Tourmaline BC
- Power Sand Special S
- Clear Super
- Bacter 100
then on top, Amazonia I normal + a bit of powder type. I really wanted a good substrate environment:)

Two weeks so far. First week water change every day 1:4 tap:RO, currently 1:1. Second week WC every other day. Photoperiod started with 5 hours per day, gradually moved to 6h. CO2 - 1b/s
GH 6d
KH 3d
pH 6,5 / 6,6
NO3 20/30 ppm
PO4 0.25
NH4 <0.25

There is a reasonable progress in plants growth, not impressive though. Glosso started growing, but a bit upwards due to the only 2x24 w lights, the same with the HC, which is slowly recovering from melting and decaying:) I'm considering now a little trim to keep the HC down. I guess is not too early? Amano shrimps are to be introduced hopefully next week, if the nitrite test show that they are not present, as some diatom algae appeared on the hair grass. In major lines that's it.

Cheers!

bonelez said:
...Glosso started growing, but a bit upwards due to the only 2x24 w lights, the same with the HC,..
This is not why Glosso or HC grow upwards. If you have diatoms then that means you have more light than you bargained for.

Cheers,

Hi Dan,
Upward growth and increased inter-nodal distances occur in response to hormones in the plant. The particular hormone responsible for this behavior happens to be a gas called Ethylene. Poor flow to the substrate suppresses the ability of the plant to rid itself of the gas and results in a buildup of this gas. Just about all aquatic plants respond in a similar fashion, which is actually an ingenious adaptation to being flooded. More details on page 1 of the thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12101

Cheers,

And if I can grow HC with a measly small '30watts' of T8's over an equivalent sized tank, you should be able to manage glosso with 48watts of HO T5's :) Interesting on the hormone side of things, honestly, plants in aquariums used to be so simple :)

Cheers mates! Thanks for the comments!

87475640.png

Nothing much to report. That's an image of two and a half weeks. As you see, upwards growth, melting, diatoms...etc.
I'm patient though:) I have introduced 3 ottos and 7 caridina multidentata at the end of the third week, which fixed the diatom issue in no minute. Now, some kind of hair algae appear which is no good. So might say that's a co2 deficiency symptome and I'll absolutely agree:) I'm trying now to solve the problem and only the time will show. After I've increased the co2 I measured the pH in the morning and it was 6,9. In the afternoon it turned to be 6,5. Should be fine? I started dosing Easycarbo as well 3ml daily. What bothers me a bit is that NO3 is around 5ppm and PO4 is around 0. I guess the aquasoil kind of absorb all these but again it's weird for me. I'm reluctant to dose TRN+. So far I'm dosing Brighty K (3ml) and Step 1 (2ml) daily. Photoperiod has been increased to 6,5 h.

Any comments and suggestions on how to improve the tank are more than welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Yeah, stop using test kits to tell you what's going on in the tank. These kits have no idea because they are deaf, dumb and blind and you will only get yourself into deeper and deeper trouble if you follow their advice.

As sated in the referenced thread, simply mow the lawn and the new growth will grow back more horizontal assuming CO2 and flow are adequate.

Cheers,

Back