• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Prairie Lands"... job done

Re: "Prairie Lands"... scape finished

Thanks mark, I think it's bloody lovely mate

In terms of a competition entry, I know what you mean about the right hand gourami, and I think if you want the best chance in the comps then I'd pull the gouramis out and shoot it again with more harlequinns. If I was to do that, and being purely subjective here, I'd remove the green crypt on the left as it stands out a bit much, and makes the whole left hand side of the scape brighter, which the lighter rock is already doing. If you put a vertical line between the main rocks, there is a bit of difference in weight ( in terms of lunimosity ) between the left and right hand sides which, having read the comments in the IAPLC book, is the sort of thing they might pick up on.

Sorry to put a negative in there, but its what I suspect the judges might say if that is your concern with the final pic. Having mucked up my final pic for the IAPLC entry last year by leaving it until deadline day and rushing it, I always think the pic could have been better, and therfore the scape could have ranked higher.

Its an excellent scape, your best yet in my opinion, and the photos / vid show it off to the hilt.

Tony

Cheers Tony. Always reliable advice mate :thumbup:

So, the gouramis have gone, and in there place are 30 harlys, in addition to the 15 or so i have. Just acclimatising them now. :D

Mark Evans said:
Cheers Tony. Always reliable advice mate :thumbup:

So, the gouramis have gone, and in there place are 30 harlys, in addition to the 15 or so i have. Just acclimatising them now. :D

With competition in mind, I also think it's a good choice that you removed the gouramis. Personally I think they're lovely, but you never know if the judges will like it. More "safe" choice with only small schooling fishes in an iwagumi.

I will double the opinion for small shawling fish choice!

Cant wait to see the final shot in the top 10 of IAPLC :D !

JEK said:
With competition in mind, I also think it's a good choice that you removed the gouramis. Personally I think they're lovely, but you never know if the judges will like it. More "safe" choice with only small schooling fishes in an iwagumi.

true mate. :thumbup:

Antoni Dimitrov said:
I will double the opinion for small shawling fish choice!

Cant wait to see the final shot in the top 10 of IAPLC !

not sure about top ten mate. The pic just isn't good enough, and for that matter, the rock colours are just wrong. I'm a few years away from such a high ranking :D

lighting the aquarium is just a nightmare. i cant get the look i want, never have in the 120cm A 60cm is a different matter. dead easy with 2 lights, not with the bigger tank though...i wish i had a studio with 8 lights! :twisted:

Thank you for the oportunity to see the shot, my friend!

The shot in my humble opinion will do the job, it is perfect and it works for me! The showling rasboras are the perfect match!

I was browsing the winners works from the previous years and I think they have a lot to learn abouth photography in this case!

The only concern regaring the grading will be the color of the stones I must agree. The left side stone is much lighter than the others.

When I look the scape on a full screen, my eyes bounce firts in the main stone Oyaishi /i will now make myself looks like, I understand those things :geek: / then going left to the second rock in size - "Fukuishi" and then again right to the end, through the smallest rocks "Soeishi" and "Suteishi". For me this is the perfect example of Iwagumi with some English flavour, which works really fine for me!

I think you should leave it like that and I really hope that it will be judged as it is meant to be!

Wish you great success in the contest!

Regards

Antoni

Thanks Antoni! :D

I think i'll live with the revised shot.

Time to strip down soon. :angelic:

I'd just like to thank everyone who's contributed to the journal. really appreciated. 8)

This is now officially over...i hear you breath a sigh of relief!

Re: "Prairie Lands"... scape finished, journal end!

I'd just like to thank everyone who's contributed to the journal. really appreciated.

This is now officially over...i hear you breath a sigh of relief!

yeah mark, thank god, you do go on ! :D :D (sorry you know me, I cant resist! :D )

Mark, I have to say the video is excellent, your best video to date in my opinion. I personally really enjoy the videos as it allows us to visit and explore your tank with out being there! It allows us to see a whole lot more including things like flow which i think so many people still get wrong. Never can have enough! :geek: I think in this video the depth of tank comes to life a lot more than in the pictures.

Nb. Your dosing guidelines seem to be working well on both my tanks! Cheers Buddy!

Andyh

I've been following this journal, and it has been great (especially the pics and vids). I love this style of aquascape, wish I had a spare tank to have a go with lol.

cheers :D

And were's your new journal, Mark? You can't close a journal without starting a new, you know. ;) :D

Your best 'scape yet mate. Well done.

Thanks for such a great journal. The sheer amount of manhours involved in your video and photo processing; I dare not estimate!

And all the best with the IAPLC. You deserve to do well... We shall see...

Piece-of-fish said:
Congratulations and good luck with IAPLC...

thanks mate :thumbup:

George Farmer said:
Your best 'scape yet mate. Well done.

Thanks for such a great journal. The sheer amount of manhours involved in your video and photo processing; I dare not estimate!

And all the best with the IAPLC. You deserve to do well... We shall see...

Again, thanks George. :D

JEK said:
And were's your new journal, Mark?

soon mate, real soon. ;)

pest control said:
I've been following this journal, and it has been great (especially the pics and vids). I love this style of aquascape, wish I had a spare tank to have a go with lol.

I'll send some crypts when i strip it 8)

I've send the journal is over, well it is officially, but with very special thanks to Tony swinney, it's to carry on until the weekend.

Tony has kindly lent me his flash lights, to go with the 2 that i already have, so I'll be doing shoot number 3 in the next few days :wideyed:

andyh said:
yeah mark, thank god, you do go on ! (sorry you know me, I cant resist! )

i'll be going on some more when i start the new journal :lol: love or hate me, i'm here to stay! :shifty:

Getting ready for the big shoot.

I've pulled the tank away from the wall maybe 3 feet. For some bizarre reason, it looks immense!...very 3d

Here's my little Dan, helping from the other side.

Dan-3.jpg

Back