• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mark's 60cm Opti-White for the Vivarium Show

Not sure how the mandao will hold until i get the water and kit in place, it's all a bit of an experiment at the moment.
I have a 120cm stuffed full of plants waiting to go in here so there shouldn't be much substrate showing to blow about i hope. if i have to i will rip it all out and start again i have got a whole 3 months so no pressure :lol:

Only just see the pic, and it looks really good, what's planting arrangement are you going for?

Have you got a more details spec? Filter ferts ect?

Cheers

nayr88 said:
Only just see the pic, and it looks really good, what's planting arrangement are you going for?

Have you got a more details spec? Filter ferts ect?

Cheers

Filter will be a spare tetratec ex700 i have, lighting wil be a 4x24w luminaire that i am waiting for a new ballast for although i will only have 2 tubes on at a time, ferts? well i only know one way and thats EI+a bit more just in case and enough co2 to extinguish the towering inferno :lol: always worked for me so why change :thumbup:

I have a lot of plants to choose from so i am not sure yet :)

Grand :D haha

Nuke it !!! How long will the tank run after viv? Any plans for inhabitants?

Damn I wanna do a bigger or not nano planted tank.....

nayr88 said:
Grand :D haha

Nuke it !!! How long will the tank run after viv? Any plans for inhabitants?

Damn I wanna do a bigger or not nano planted tank.....

No livestock until after viv, then we will see mate, richard at wetpets showed me some photos of some bright red pencils that i had never seen before :D would love a few of them :thumbup:
This will be my main competition tank after viv as my others are too big to keep rescaping so i will be probably changing it every 6 months or so or when ever i get a new idea to try out. Haven't entered any comps since 2008 so i have some catching up to do.

I have finally got the light fixed, so at least i can get some decent photos now, the hardcape is basically finished bar a bit of tweaking. However the photos don't really show how steep it is and makes it look a bit flat, I will fill it and make a start on the planting tomorrow :thumbup:

DSCI0156.jpg

DSCI0162.jpg

DSCI0163.jpg

DSCI0170.jpg

Comments always welcome :)

normally i'd say the stone will get lost once your plants grow.but i think i can see where you're going with this now ;) .

love the right side :D .

Howd you get on yesterday mate?

Hope it went well and you havnt got any calluses(spelling) from your tweezers haha I like the final hardscape now too.

Hi Mark!

I want to thank you for finding rak-aqua I made also order with them for 24x15x15 for 44 pounds +25 delivery. It is not pilkinton but who cares? Makes me wonder why are we being ripped off in the UK? :)

Radik said:
Hi Mark!

I want to thank you for finding rak-aqua I made also order with them for 24x15x15 for 44 pounds +25 delivery. It is not pilkinton but who cares? Makes me wonder why are we being ripped off in the UK? :)

Nice price mate :thumbup: i am very happy with mine :D

Great-looking hardscape, Mark. :thumbup:

Plant choice will be key to ensure it maintains its visual impact.

Be very careful when you're moving it. Manado is very 'loose' and doesn't hold very well. We 'scaped an Iwagumi at the Festival of Fiskeeping in 2009 using it.

4005226592_f0138f34ec.jpg

We moved it to Dan's place (a 3 hour drive) complete and the substrate had almost totally flattened.

George Farmer said:
We moved it to Dan's place (a 3 hour drive) complete and the substrate had almost totally flattened.

I am a bit worried about moving it have to say! i have crushed and graded some of the rock for a finishing touch but was saving this until i got there for fear of it moving. I am using riccia on peices of slate for the forground area between the rocks, both for speed and in hope this will hold it all down a bit. I am also hoping the other plants will grow in enough to knit it all together. I wil be taking my scaping tools just in case an emergency rescape is required when we get there :thumbup: Fingers Crossed!

Yey Mark, get it planted :thumbup:
I am worrying about moving tanks as well as it will be my first time. George could you give any advice maybe as you guys have experience alrady. I spoke with Garuf yesterday and he said one of the things to look at is to drain as much water as you can from the substrate.
I am thinking as well of filling the whole tank with bubblewrap to hold the wood in place.

Yes, the most important thing is to drain as much water as possible. This helps to keep the substrate more stable, as there's less water to keep it in suspension.

If possible try to support the tank at an angle, so the substrate slope is horizontal/parallel to the ground. This helps prevent gravity acting on the slope trying to level it out.

Cover the plants in cling film, then fill up the tank with a load of newpaper, bubble wrap etc. to help support the substrate further.

Take care when lifting the tank to and from the car. This is a risky time when big movements can undo all your hard work!

Drive carefully!

And get someone to video you moving it around so if you drop it, there's £250 to be had from You've Been Framed ;)

Back