• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree - Final shots

Both your photography and aquascaping skills are amazing, George! A sight for sore eyes.

fozziebear said:
fly like a g6.... lol! i can bet it aint cheap just from looking at it, looks mint though, i seen your new twitter feed too :) kudos to you, are you the first aquascaper on twitter?
Ha ha! Yeah, every time I hear that tune I think of my filter! It is great. The best thing is how easy it is to maintain. It takes less than a minute to clean the pre-filter. The only other bit I touch is the biological media every 6 months!

I was recommended Twitter by a few people. It's very useful for me, seeing the latest news in the industry by various personalities. My Tweets are relatively dull but perhaps they entertain or interest someone out there!

Tom said:
Fantastic final full tank shot :eek: I don't understand how your sand is soo white!!
Thanks, Tom. :)

I've been asked about the sand a lot. It was my biggest concern about keeping this tank. Its success, in terms of keeping clean, is a combination of a few things -

1) Low light intensity and short photoperiod
2) Liquid carbon
3) Lots of shrimp keeping the grains turned over
4) Weekly sifting through the sand with my fingers
5) Large weekly water changes
6) Hugely overfiltered

Piece-of-fish said:
This first photo from final series is amazing. Good luck in the comps.
Looking forward to your new creations :thumbup:
Thanks, Edward! :D

JEK said:
Both your photography and aquascaping skills are amazing, George! A sight for sore eyes.
Thanks, Johan! :D

Glad I finally got to see one of your tanks in front of me, look forward to the rescape :) Just keeps getting better George.

Absolutely stunning George, the simplicity of the scape is both relaxing and striking at the same time. Am really interested to see the new planting, it's something I am thinking of doing with my current scape. Are you planning on changing the substrate?

I have a fluval G3 stunning piece of kit indeed! Although a built in heater would of been nice!
Cheers Ben

Nice and simple scape. What amount of gravel was used? 12.5kg was enough? Are you propping up stones somehow to reduce gravity effect? Cheers.

Stunning!! One of my favorite tanks ever.
Its really inspired me to try iwagumi sometime soon.

What is the deal with the G6? What's the turn over ect? I did look at one briefly and found most of the feature to be abit over the top. Such as telling you when your media is finished with or PH I dunno maybe its just me haha I mean look at what you've created haaha. Could you tell us what's makes it worth the extra bucks?

B7fec said:
Absolutely stunning George, the simplicity of the scape is both relaxing and striking at the same time. Am really interested to see the new planting, it's something I am thinking of doing with my current scape. Are you planning on changing the substrate?

I have a fluval G3 stunning piece of kit indeed! Although a built in heater would of been nice!
Cheers Ben
Thanks, Ben. :D

I'm keeping the old substrate. No need to change it, and it would be almost impossible to get the rocks exactly the same again. One idea I have is once the new plant layout is complete, I can take a full-tank shot using the same lighting and camera settings (might need to adjust exposure due to dense planting). This will give a high-impact before and after effect, like Amano's work, but obviously not as good!

The Rotala you sent (in its amazing packaging!) has been pruned once already!

Yes, not sure why they didn't put a heater in the filter. Would have preferred that over a conductivity monitor. I'm waiting for a filter with a built-in heater, CO2 reactor and CO2 digital read-out!

Radik said:
Nice and simple scape. What amount of gravel was used? 12.5kg was enough? Are you propping up stones somehow to reduce gravity effect? Cheers.
Thanks. I used about 12Kg of Unipac Maui sand. No 'propping up'', just banked up. It did slide in transit when I moved the tank to and from London.

nayr88 said:
Stunning!! One of my favorite tanks ever.
Its really inspired me to try iwagumi sometime soon.

What is the deal with the G6? What's the turn over ect? I did look at one briefly and found most of the feature to be abit over the top. Such as telling you when your media is finished with or PH I dunno maybe its just me haha I mean look at what you've created haaha. Could you tell us what's makes it worth the extra bucks?
Thanks, Ryan. :D

I've tested the flow output of the G6 and it's just over 1000lph - with 12mm lily pipes fitted. So I'm physically getting 20x turnover which is plenty. The inline diffuser ensures CO2 distribution is excellent too.

You can set the computer to remind you when to clean/change the media. You set the intervals yourself. It's not needed if you're an obsessive maintainer like me, but some people will find it useful.

You can set the computer to alert you if various parameters are met i.e. too low/high temp, low flow etc. Again, you set the parameters yourself according to your circumstances.

The mech and chemical chambers are quick-release and removable without stripping down the filter at all. It's so simple - takes seconds with no water spillage.

I don't bother replacing any media - it's expensive. The carbon cartridge is now just biological media, and the pre-filter is cleaned weekly with the supplied brush. The biological media is harder to get to, but because the pre-filter is so good you only need to clean it every 6 months or so.

The computer is cool. It plots graphs telling you how stable your temperature is. The temp readout is accurate to 0.1C/F. It plots graphs for flow so you can tell if your pre-filter or hoses need cleaning.

The most controversial feature is the conductivity meter. This tells you how much dissolved 'stuff' is in your water. The more stuff, the higher conductivity.

The idea Hagen has is that it's a reflection of water quality i.e. dissolved waste matter etc. will increase conductivity. When I kept my Dutch, the plants were using so much nutrients, the conductivity actually stayed stable, even though I was pumping a lot of ferts in dailly, and had greedy fish eating lots of food and creating waste. You could perhaps use this to calcuate nutrient dosing more accurately if you're into that kind of thing! It's also useful for open-topped tanks where evaporation leads to hardening of the water unless topped up with RO, or massive water changes are undertaken.

Interestingly the conductivity in this Iwagumi rockets over the week from a baseline of around 750 to 900 over the week. This is due to the rocks containing limestone, no doubt.

The build quality is superb and it looks cool, in my view. I even like the grey hose supplied.

The supplied fittings work well - there's a spray bar kit and double-nozzle outlet. Glassware for me though.

In summary there's loads of features that you don't need, but they can help.

Whether or not it justifies the high price tag? That's a personal decision that only an individual can make. I do think they're an excellent product and wouldn't hesistate to recommend the Fluval G to anyone that asks and has a suitable budget.

Thanks for that George. It does sound good, and looks amazing. I didn't realise the flow was that high and even via glassware inline heater and deffuser!!

Good luck with the next one :D

Glad the Rotala has settled in...it is a rampant grower for sure, I love the stuff! I cannot wait to see the new plant layout, looking forward to seeing some photo's. The idea of the high impact photo etc is a real good one, go for it.

Now that'd be a filter to get hold of!! anything else we could chuck in!

nayr88 said:
Thanks for that George. It does sound good, and looks amazing. I didn't realise the flow was that high and even via glassware inline heater and deffuser!!

Good luck with the next one :D
Forgot to mention, the G6 (and G3) runs almost silently, even situated outside the cabinet.

Regarding the flow, it has a 2460lph pump, so not surprising it's delivering 1000lph perhaps.

I'm sold! Haha

Now to explain to the girlfriend why I NEED an optiwhite 60cm and a G6
Still should go down better than when I told her ill be spending 3weeks in thailand at the end of the year :O

Themuleous said:
Really nice photos, but the scape is a bit harsh for me, too much rockwork.
Fair one, Sam. I agree - it's a bit harsh on the eyes, lots of jagged edges, spikey grass, stark areas etc.

That was the intention, to a degree, as the 'scape was inspired by a big pile of rocks - hence the 'scree' title.

scree [skriː]
n
(Earth Sciences / Geological Science) an accumulation of weathered rock fragments at the foot of a cliff or hillside, often forming a sloping heap Also called talus

5369724290_fa48baefde_b.jpg

The next 'scape using the same rocks will be a lot less 'harsh' - complete contrast to this actually. :D

Looking forward to see it with other plants. Will you switch to soil instead or sand?
As i understood it. you won't change the positioning of the rocks. Am i right?

JEK said:
Looking forward to see it with other plants. Will you switch to soil instead or sand?
Hi Johan,

I'm keeping the sand and the rocks exactly as they are.

I'll try to get a photo soon.

George Farmer said:
JEK said:
Hi Johan,

I'm keeping the sand and the rocks exactly as they are.

I'll try to get a photo soon.

Looking much forward to that. And I'm sorry about asking a question thats already answered. (Just discovered that i missed almost a page of the thread.)

Blimey! You don't hang about George haha

Looks good, I really like the idea of keeping the rock layout and just changing the plants. A recycled layout :) I can see those lights getting quite big in the scene over the next year, I was wondering if I'd see an ada MH when I read new lights haha

Will there be a new name or separate journal?

Back