• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is needed to be a sucessful plant grower?

julioarca

Seedling
Currently I have a Juwel 180, got the standard tubes, aquaglow and sunlite in the juwel positions and have added a 3rd aquagrow tube at the back on the flappy lid, all T8.

I am doing a PMDD sequence at the moment but see my plants growing leggy, loosing leaves at the botoms, to a height of approx 4". My nitrate is approx 40, Phosphate approx 4-5, I dose trace elements, and iron and Seachem Excel, should I add another tube in the front flap?

Currently lights on for approx 11 hours. I do have diy co2 but have been unkeen to start it off recently due to a co2 overdose to the fish a few weeks ago.

Any ideas how to get the plants improved?

thanks

David

Leggy growth and material loss are symptoms of poor CO2. Adding more light only makes the situation even worse since more light creates more demand for CO2. If you don't want to use CO2 then you should run a low tech tank and lower the light.

Cheers,

how did you manage to overdose using DIY on such a large tank? How many bottles were you using.

Andy

The tubes are 30 w each.

I use the red sea diy co2 reactor and I also have a 750ml bottle that feeds into it. I try to change one bottle per week but 2 weeeks ago did both bottles. The fish were acting strange, slow moving, no food interest, standing on their heads (discus), once I started aerating the tank, after a couple of hours they were fine.

Back