• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice for cherry shrimp set-up - now with pic

I have two tanks with Cherry shrimp at home, one is at 24C the other at 16-18C (no heater). They seemed fine in both tanks, but the ones on the cooler tank grow slower, and I have not seen any shrimplets yet on the cooler tank.

From my observations, and from the habitat they come from, what shrimp need is good oxygenated water, the temp may vary.

Just tried mine on one of those PFK wafers :)
ResizeAssistant-1-6.jpg

If i remember correctly (been a while since ive kept cherries), optimal temps are 22-24 for breeding, higher temps will just slow the breeding down and lowering will just slow the breeding and growth.

Having it to warm like most fish above it's ideal temp just metabolise quicker and results in quicker growing generally larger shrimp but usually a slightly shorter life expectancy.

Lovely looking tank George, im sure the shrimp will love it.

I like cherries and agree that they are very robust.
I have them outdoors in one of those blue builders barrels ( will be checking them on return).
I have them in unheated bowl that sits on the kitchen windowsill.
I have them in another unheated bowl, that sits on the living room windowsill. This one gets alot of sun and houses daphnia will them with a pair of Gold HF.
The lowest I have kept them at was around 15degrees and they were fine.

Looks really nice George. I have always kept mine at 23°C and they breed very well. Did you do a fishless cycle before adding Shrimp? If so how long for? I am interested in the TMC Nutrasoil but can't find an online stockist? Can you suggest one?

I feed Algae Wafer and JBL Novo Prawn.

Oh eye spy, white sand foreground photo of the shrimps, fully planted substrate photo? I sense a rescape!
Tank looks great, good luck, like I say, when a animal is so adaptable many people will offer information claiming it to be optimal so it's something I'm not at all surprised by.

Any update George? I'm about to set up a shrimp nano myself so i'd be really interested to know ho you got on. And a slight hijack - i fed my shrimp Aqua El Crustabs (free with an Aqua El shrimp tank) and they went mad for it - suddenly they were all berried! Does anyone know a UK supplier as Google is drawing a blank!
Cheers!,
Matt

Re: Advice for cherry shrimp set-up

George Farmer said:
Here you go. I'm quite excited about this actually!

5373052755_2ffc39d8b1_z.jpg

I have some Hikari Sinking Wafers (free with the lastest issue of PFK) which contain spirulina and calcium iodate and all sorts of stuff that sounds very healthy. Might even try one myself! lol

The heater is preset to 26C.

Maybe I could put the heater on a timer (2 hours on, 2 off or something) to induce a slight temperature swing?

Are there any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any good links regarding best temperatures? I've read lots of conflicting info.

What's the best shrimp forum around these days - except this one, of course!? :thumbup:

This is the only one I'm registered on:
http://www.ukshrimp.co.uk/

Bit quiet but some clued up people on there.

This is a good blog site if you want to get into the crazy world of rarer species/highly selective breeding:
http://www.shrimp-attack.com/

I've kept mine in a range of temps and they've done fine but agree with others, they probably benefit from slightly cooler than the 26c that I usually keep them in. They've survived all sorts of catastrophes that have done for my CRS. The only thing that's resulted in actual death is adding Kusari dewormer (for nematode infested boraras) which lead to cracked shells. That was only the sakuras though (obviously more inbred), the majority survived that fine too.

Re: Advice for cherry shrimp set-up

hotweldfire said:
This is a good blog site if you want to get into the crazy world of rarer species/highly selective breeding:
http://www.shrimp-attack.com/

I would advise NOT going on this forum.
You start off with a bit of drinking on the weekends, then the next thing you know your hitting the crack pipe every night.
It's all just too addictive :lol:
See you all at shrimps anonymous (Hi, my name is Matt, and I currently have...)

Seriously.

Not long ago I almost went for some pandas off aquabid going for $80 a piece. Luckily my wife walked in the room as I was about to hit the bid button. Had they been blue bolts I probably would have hit it anyway.

Dangerous things shrimp.

;)
Gill said:
I like cherries and agree that they are very robust.
I have them outdoors in one of those blue builders barrels ( will be checking them on return).
I have them in unheated bowl that sits on the kitchen windowsill.
I have them in another unheated bowl, that sits on the living room windowsill. This one gets alot of sun and houses daphnia will them with a pair of Gold HF.
The lowest I have kept them at was around 15degrees and they were fine.

For some strange reason I read this post like a poem. Must be the layout. ;) and the fact I teach in a secondary school probably.

Back