• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae id....and help getting rid please.....

B7fec

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what Algae types are in the following photo's, I have never had an Algae problem before, but have noticed small changes to 3 plants in the tank.
Firstly some Staurogyne sp
IMG_0151.jpg

Secondly, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and Eleocharis Parvula
IMG_0149.jpg

Lastly Cyperus Helferi
IMG_0150.jpg

This tank has been running Algae free for around 7 maybe longer months and only now this is happening.......I haven't changed dosing etc..... 8ml easy carbo, 6 ml TPN + per day, 50% Water change per week with ada green gain and phyton git added once per week after W/C. High CO2 through boyu diffuser with good flow throughout tank, filter eheim pro 3 thermo on highest output. Lights (OT2 Luminaire) 7 hours a day 2 x 39watt with 2 hour midday burst of 4 x 39 watt bulbs for 2 hours.
Thanks Ben

BBA. Usually suggests the CO2 levels are not high enough and/or stable enough.

Ok....just thinking about it, maybe the CO2 being unstable maybe right....I recently changed from ADA lily pipe......(Then Smashed it by accident) to a spray bar......then last week back to a cal aqua lily pipe, so maybe the difference in these outlets may have caused it??

Hi Ben

I can't see the pics on this computer but also consider plant growth and its affect on the dynamics in your tank.

As the plants grow their nutrient requirements may increase. They also block flow/CO2, as they fill the water column by growing.

I would start by losing your midday burst - there's probably no need. Then address CO2 issues and think about dosing more TPN+.

In the short-term you can spot dose BBA.

Turn off filter and syringe a few ml of liquid carbon over each bit of BBA.

Leave for a few minutes, then perform a large water change.

Ideally drain enough water to expose the BBA to the air - then re-apply the liquid carbon to the BBA using a small paintbrush.

Fill tank with water and the BBA should disappear within a couple of days.

Good luck! : :thumbup:

It looks a bit like BGA to me too, get some out and smell it, if it smells earthy it's bga, if it doesn't and is course to the touch it's most likely bba.

Cheers Gareth, I have notice the tank smelling a quite strong the last 3 days....even after a 50% W/C on Saturday morning, by the night time I could smell the tank.......

George Farmer said:
Hi Ben

I can't see the pics on this computer but also consider plant growth and its affect on the dynamics in your tank.

As the plants grow their nutrient requirements may increase. They also block flow/CO2, as they fill the water column by growing.

I would start by losing your midday burst - there's probably no need. Then address CO2 issues and think about dosing more TPN+.

In the short-term you can spot dose BBA.

Turn off filter and syringe a few ml of liquid carbon over each bit of BBA.

Leave for a few minutes, then perform a large water change.

Ideally drain enough water to expose the BBA to the air - then re-apply the liquid carbon to the BBA using a small paintbrush.

Fill tank with water and the BBA should disappear within a couple of days.

Good luck! : :thumbup:

Cheers George.....have PM'd you.

Thanks to George and Mark for all their info and help today! A great pair of guys! Tonight will see the tomorrow will see the start of my battle against the Algae! Thanks again both!

Hi all, I'm algae free!!! A 3 day blackout, followed by a 80% W/C cleaned all the filter, lily pipes, tank etc......and so far so good! All the plants look remarkably healthy, and the anaubias which had slowed right down in terms of growth has loads of new leaves flying out, so am really pleased! thanks to George and Mark for the help! :thumbup:

Back