• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

oto fry

Nelson

first see it a few days ago.sorry about the pic :oops: .

Picture022.jpg

its happily grazing on the glass.

What a nice discovery :)
I hope he lives long and continues the good work.

Whay!
What tank is this in? You're clearly doing something very right!

its in my 75x45x45.

the BBA,staghorn and hair algae tells me i'm doing it all wrong :lol: .

Mark Evans said:
That's incredible mate! :wideyed:
i'm well surprised.
REDSTEVEO said:
Hi, What have you been feeding the adults on to get them to spawn? :sick:

Also how many adults have you got in the tank.
i've only got 3 adults.not doing anything special.guess they're eating diatoms.they get the odd catfish pellet and maybe shrimp food.
really don't know.

I know I'm impressed, I'd expect otto's to be very very hard to breed :)

Hi all,
It is true there aren't many reports of breeding Oto's, and even fewer where they have bred without Corydoras in the tank as well. I know from watching mine that they actually spawn relatively freely, but that you don't often get fry.
the BBA,staghorn and hair algae tells me i'm doing it all wrong
I think this may actually be the secret to your success. If you want try some other food you could try a slice of cucumber, although it will probably only be attractive to your Oto fry as it starts to soften. There is an Oto breeding thread on "Planet Catfish", in the SA catfish Loricariids forum, and Jo from "Rare Aquatics" bred some of hers.

cheers Darrel

Hi :thumbup:
That's the beauty of having a planted aquarium....you never know whats lurking in the hidden depths.
Anyway that's a nice find and very rare...... well done.
Its great when egg laying fish survive in a community set-up..... its all the more satisfying that the fry have lived long enough for you to see them. :clap:
hoggie

i used to give them cucumber and blanched courgette,but i've not had a shortage of diatoms lately :oops: .

cheers Hoggie.only seen one,but hopefully it will survive ;) .

Time for a different route in fishkeeping :p

You seem to be able to raise CPD and ottos.

Telling you something :p

well i had a bit of an accident on my last WC :( .
but have just counted 41 new fry about 5mm :D .

mlgt said:
How long did it take to count 41? Are you sure :D
so much doubt Rik.is your real name Thomas ? :wave: .

took less than a minute to count as they were in plain view.there were probably more i didn't see.

i can only see 10 now though :( .

nelson said:
mlgt said:
How long did it take to count 41? Are you sure :D
so much doubt Rik.is your real name Thomas ? :wave: .

took less than a minute to count as they were in plain view.there were probably more i didn't see.

i can only see 10 now though :( .

Yes that is my chinese name. More than 41 ottos is a big feat. Well done on becoming a daddy.

Back