• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guidance on HC "Cuba"

rohitsingh_81

Seedling
Hi All,

Following are the specs for my tank:

Tank: 15 Gallon
Light: 2 x 24W T8 - running 10 Hr a day
CO2: 70 Bubbles/min
Filter: Jebo 835 Canister
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil - Amazonia II
Fertilizer: Seachem Nitrogen - 1ml twice/week
Seachem Comprehensive - 1ml twice/week
Seachem Phosphorous - 2ml twice/week
Seachem Potassium - 2.5 ml twice/week

I bought HC Cuba around 3 weeks back which came in a 3cm x 8cm block. After cutting it in 1cm x 1cm blocks, I placed it over the substrate and used toothpicks to make sure it remains grounded (haven't tried to plant roots inside substrate).

3 Weeks after: The plant is still alive but are not spreading. I see some roots coming out but they seem not to be going in the substrate for some of the blocks. Should I wait and watch OR is there something else that I need to do to make it spread a carpet.

Please advice.

Regards,
Rohit

Toothpicks?

Best way is either:

Divide each pot into 6-8 sections, and push the rock wool into the substrate to the right depth.

Or:

Break the pot up entirely into lots of little strands and plant each one individually with tweezers. Takes much longer to plant but can give a more even carpet initially.

Looks like you're low on the CO2 and other nutrient dosing.

1ml or 2ml dosing of those products will be adding very little nutrients.

I have around 3 bubbles per second in a tank of similar size. Although your bubbles might be a lot bigger!

Thanks George & others.

I shall increase the CO2 and shall post the results shortly. BTW, can you please suggest how much should I dose the ferts weekly based on your experience.

Back