• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monitor Issue

Gill

Hopefully someone may be able to help.
I have noticed that over the last few weeks, that if My Vertigo is really bad I find it hard to read a VDU and scrolling really messes with me.

Is there Anything i can use to ease that. As would need something when finally if i find another job.

Sounds like you may need glasses.

I was struggling a couple of months ago and eventually got my eyes tested, it took me a few weeks to get used to waring them but needed them for reading.

Free eye tests at Tesco and cheep glasses too. Helped me!

You could try upping the refresh rate if the monitor allows - some TFT/flatscreen monitors let you adjust this and others don't. If you don't have a flatsscreen monitor then these are usually less flickery.

The other side of flatscreens is the pixel refresh time, usually listed in 'ms' or milliseconds. The lower this number is the better, as this can make images 'lag' on the screen and cause a little bit of ghosting when you move things around e.g. scroll a website or document. You don't tend to get issues with this on the older 'TV style' CRT monitors.

Ok Thanks for the Info.
I wear glasses permanently, so that is not an issue. I will be having an eye test in the next 2 weeks.
Will Also be going thru a battery of tests in april for my Vertigo. That weird machine where you look thru a tunnel and try to keep pace with moving red lights.

I will look into the Suggestions nry. It does not affect me as much on the laptop.

Other things: I get ghosting when i change screens or images where i still see the previuos screen/image for up to a minute.
Does not affect me so much with the tv, just monitors.

I do not sit near the screen, I make sure i am up over 1 metre away as to not strain my eyesight any further.

I was having issues reading UKAPS, but the new skin has much improved this.

I will switch monitors to something newer as mine is just a car boot refurb from a few years ago. and there is a Widescreen one my middle bros gave me as a spare. that is a better qulaity monitor.

I'd have assumed that the distance from the screen itself is not the issue, depending on screen size.

What you need is for your eyes to not have to move around the screen much, as all this causes is extra focusing needs on the lens. A small screen, possibly closer to you, may be of help, or a larger screen from further away :)

nry said:
I'd have assumed that the distance from the screen itself is not the issue, depending on screen size.

What you need is for your eyes to not have to move around the screen much, as all this causes is extra focusing needs on the lens. A small screen, possibly closer to you, may be of help, or a larger screen from further away :)

I think, and I may well be wrong, when I enquired at the opticians about staring at a screen the problem is focusing on one distance for a long period of time. Think of it like a leg muscle in strain, its easier to run than to hold the same stretch for ages. So (and this goes for everyone) it is best to look away from the screen every few minutes, looking at an object far away and then close to you. Just let your eyes relax.

I know after a whole day of doing autocad and the OH spends hours in the evening playing games his eyes go all bloodshot and gets headaches.

Lisa_Perry75 said:
nry said:

I think, and I may well be wrong, when I enquired at the opticians about staring at a screen the problem is focusing on one distance for a long period of time. Think of it like a leg muscle in strain, its easier to run than to hold the same stretch for ages. So (and this goes for everyone) it is best to look away from the screen every few minutes, looking at an object far away and then close to you. Just let your eyes relax.

I know after a whole day of doing autocad and the OH spends hours in the evening playing games his eyes go all bloodshot and gets headaches.

Probably quite accurate, I think in essence any long period display screen work is bad :)

Back