• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Now FOR SALE !

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L

Looks great Tony. Shame I didnt manage to catch you at the gallery.
Tank has certainly come along. It must look fantastic in the flesh!

Good luck with it Tony. Its such a hard work to fight the algae in such a big tank...

You killed the ewoks!!!! bad bad man!! :p

Glad you getting this back on track Tony, I am sure this will start looking stunning in no time, as the hardscape is spot on!

mlgt said:
Looks great Tony. Shame I didnt manage to catch you at the gallery.
Tank has certainly come along. It must look fantastic in the flesh!

Hi Rik, yep it was a shame I couldnt get to the Thursday night :( Tank is doing OK, pop pin if your down this way :)

Mark Webb said:
Love it. The rock formation is superb :thumbup:
Thanks Mark

bogwood said:
As a fellow BBA sufferer, glad to see you are winning the battle. Some of those clumps were frightening
Piece-of-fish said:
Good luck with it Tony. Its such a hard work to fight the algae in such a big tank...
Yep, its been a bit of a battle but to be honest, with good maintenance and a crew of SAE's it was under control :)

LondonDragon said:
You killed the ewoks!!!! bad bad man!!
They had no place under water Paulo :lol:

All good so far with the new start, first trim of the stems last night, and replanted the cuttings to thicken things up. I also started to drag the malaya back into place that the corys had shovelled all over the place ! A few more goes at this should see the sand come back into play which I'll then top up with fresh stuff too.

Prepping the tanks tonight for being left alone for a week as I'm going away. I figure a big water change, and a bit of extra dosing in the morning, coupled with a 50% reduction in the photoperiod and the CO2 should be OK for 6 days.

Tony

SAE's are the most effective BBA eaters I have found, but I have also found other species capable of eating it.
These are mini ramshorns, nerites, and caridina gracilirostris (red nose shrimp).
All the above animals will eat live BBA.
Excel does speeds up the process considerably though.
and once excel has nuked it, then other critters (eg otos) will eat the remains of it.

HTH :)

@Tony - do you ever consider going low tech? (I am thinking of the ease of maintenance.)

Hi Tony, I know this doesn't strictly apply to this tank, but I have a Discus tank 350l and was wondering where you purchased your Discus for the precious tank setup as they were awsome colourations an quality? I'd really like to know.
Cheers Kev.

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Zebra otos

Hi Kevin

Sorry I missed your post :oops: The discus were from Mark Evendon at http://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/

Brief update...

This tank is now basically algae free :clap: and looking pretty good if I say so myself, with Blyxa, Pinnatifida and various crypts doing really well :) I'll upload full pics soon, I'm just clearing a white bloom from the water caused ( I think ) by cleaning both filters last weekend :mad: Hopefully the UV I've added will help.

The local MA got a few Zebra Otos in, and I couldnt resist them ! They're far more confident than the standard oto's that were already in the tank, so you see alot more of them around the front of the tank :)

Tony

ZebraOto_IMG_2291.jpg

ZebraOto_IMG_2293.jpg

I saw some of these for the first time in an LFS recently. Stunning fish. Are yours also slightly larger than the normal Otos you see?

great pics Tony. There are a lot more variants coming into the Oto market at the minute isn't there. There are some 'black' oto's available now, they look pretty cool. Are these Zebras more hardier than there counterparts?

Nice Ottos Tony I am after those a well. But where I could get them? Would MA do shipping? How much per fish? I was reading zebras are more sensitive so are they selling them established already?

Ianho, and where you have seen black Ottos?

I am ottolover even my girflriend saying they have cute eyes when watching you.

I saw them in a shop inside chatuchak market in Bangkok.

a1Matt said:
Are yours also slightly larger than the normal Otos

Hi Matt, yes they're slightly larger, but only by a few mm

ianho said:
great pics Tony. There are a lot more variants coming into the Oto market at the minute isn't there. There are some 'black' oto's available now, they look pretty cool. Are these Zebras more hardier than there counterparts?

Thanks Ian. I'm not sure if they are more hardy, but they're definitely more confident than the others. Maybe they're just that bigger that the scalare dont scare them ! The others have come out to play more that the Zebras are there :)

Radik said:
Nice Ottos Tony I am after those a well. But where I could get them? Would MA do shipping? How much per fish?
Hi Radik. The store held the otos for 2 weeks in their tanks before selling them. They had about 8 left in stock last weekend at the Weybridge store so only half an hour from London Waterloo, and alot closer than Bangkok :lol: ;) They dont do mail order.

Zebra ottos are indeed lovely fish. I didnt know much about various ottos before but somehow I have managed to get 3 black ottos.

However the bad point with the ottos is that they have developed a taste for slime coat on my discus so therefore I have to remove them from my 180l tank and now reside in 2 other tanks :(

I got some black ottos, that are now very fat.. :)

Will for sure travel to Weybridge or Morden to look for the Zebra Ottos, 4 of 5 of them would be great to have on my tank.

Great looking fish.

Back