• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm "quemador lenta"...tank finished.

Re: 60cm Nature Aquarium.C heferi added

Garuf said:
Mark, I didn't bother tracking mine and just stuck a normal stamp on it, will re-send what I have left Monday morning. Royal mail reliable as ever. *rage*.
With any luck the second lot should arrive, it's growing pretty fast for me since swapping to an atomiser so you shouldn't have any issues in growing it out.
Garuf
How much postage did you pay?
Anything over 5mm in thickness inside standard envelope that has a 1st or 2nd class stamp will be surcharged.
hoggie

Re: 60cm Nature Aquarium. Moss report

Ermm, dunno. I put 3 1st class stamps on it just to be sure.
I've never heard about that, managed to keep it quiet all these years I've been using the post!

Re: 60cm Nature Aquarium.C heferi added

Mark Evans said:
That's nothing mate.

in this 60cm, i was dosing a full tsp. Its still my cleanest tank to date.

Also, i'm doing regular water changes, resetting every other day.

Tom said:
I've just looked, and I'm dosing 14x the recommended TPN+ dose :p It's probably to do with making sure the setup is light-limited, and not fert or CO2 limited. Whatever the reason, it obviously works! Gonna be another lovely tank

Tom

Thanks Mark and Tom. Time to go check if my tank is fert limited :thumbup:

flygja said:
Time to go check if my tank is fert limited

Good luck mate. I'd try increasing EI, but also increasing WC's, this, IME, gives you much more room for error, whilst you find your sweet spot.

A quick report! I'm now seeing many new crypt leaves, whilst syphoning out old, melting leaves.

Bolbitis is doing brilliantly, my best yet. I've deliberately put the rhizome in the 'open' so to speak, getting plenty of everything.

C helferi pearls it's but off, which is nice and reassuring.

You haven't posted any pictures of it with C. helferi or have I just missed it?

Looking good mate - of course, it's what we now expect from you but it's always a pleasure to read your progress and see your images.

One observation - is that Bolbitis in the dead-centre of the 'scape? What's the thinking behind it - will it grow off-centre or are you deliberately trying out something in particular i.e. a central focal point?

JEK said:
You haven't posted any pictures of it with C. helferi or have I just missed it?

swaying in the background mate.

c-helferi.jpg

George Farmer said:
is that Bolbitis in the dead-centre of the 'scape? What's the thinking behind it - will it grow off-centre or are you deliberately trying out something in particular i.e. a central focal point?

random, impulsive planting mate. I never really looked at it. :) The whole scape was planted with no real thought. This, for me, is more of an 'experimentation' tank to learn a few things before i recreate it in the 4 footer.

Completely missed this one Mark!! This is turning out to be a great layout, look forward to see how those mosses turn out and how you keep them in check. Great photography as always mate, keep up the good work.

That doesn't show the whole tank, Mark. That's cheating.;)

Mark Evans said:
random, impulsive planting mate. I never really looked at it. :) The whole scape was planted with no real thought. This, for me, is more of an 'experimentation' tank to learn a few things before i recreate it in the 4 footer.
Cool. Sometimes accidental designs are the best...

Lovely as usual mate. Glad to see you doing a nice Nature Aquarium style. lots of slow gowers, nice aged forest look. Looks like theres moss growth already! Ive recently just re-scaped my 80cm with a whole lot of moss no growth though. What do you think it is youre doing thats helping with the healthy growth?

Co2 level? certain ferts?

jay said:
What do you think it is youre doing thats helping with the healthy growth?

chronic levels of co2, plenty of water changes, high ferts. medium light.

The moss which was dieing a bit, has now stopped dieing...thankfully.

It's the crimbo moss which suffered, a little less hardy than java. It's now starting to show signs of growth now.

This sure is a slow burner, and as you say jay, an aged forest look would be nice if it turned out like that.

George Farmer said:
Sometimes accidental designs are the best...

I've always maintained, i'm a 'lucky' scaper :angelic:

this tank is turning into a stunner!

how do you keep your water so crystal, is it the aquasoil, or the frequent water changes or both?

wearsbunnyslippers said:
how do you keep your water so crystal, is it the aquasoil, or the frequent water changes or both?

I must be honest, and not from a retail perspective anymore, But columbo flora base, is just amazing at giving crystal clear water from the start. I'm always careful filling the tank to.

Frequent W/C's help i think. I also use shed loads of carbon, whether this helps i'm not sure. :thumbup:

wearsbunnyslippers said:
this tank is turning into a stunner!

Thanks my friend :D

Mark Evans said:
I must be honest, and not from a retail perspective anymore, But columbo flora base, is just amazing at giving crystal clear water from the start.

Having just planted my first tank with Florabase I'd have to agree - 2 weeks in, and not a hint of cloudiness even when replanting glosso :crazy: The ADA malaya i've used previously gives endless cloudy problems.

This is going to be a real test of your patience Mark - how long can you hold out :lol:

Tony

Tony Swinney said:
This is going to be a real test of your patience Mark - how long can you hold out

:lol: so true mate. I have a trick up my sleeve; here's the plan!...

When i begin to get itchy fingers, or a sign of getting bored, I can then set up the next tank, next door to this one thus eliminating my boredom. I'm holding out for the next tank.

Tony Swinney said:
2 weeks in, and not a hint of cloudiness even when replanting glosso The ADA malaya i've used previously gives endless cloudy problems.

This is why i use it. I've uprooted, and then re planted plants in flora base, without any clouding. The last 120cm i carried out a quick test, pulling out the big stones to see what happened....very little. 8)

Tony Swinney said:
Impressive stuff - I'll be using it my next couple of scapes ;)
I have two nanos, one with Oli Knott soil the other with flora base, the is hardly any break up on the flora base and the oli soil is turning to mud, same thing happened with Amazonia II

another +1 for flora base, i uprooted my last scape and the water was crystal in an hour or so. Got great roots even off of stem plants as well.

Back