• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

advice on the D+D co2 kit

cichlidlover

hi folks,
i am just in the process of setting up my new 240ltr tank and as i want to get the set up right before i transfer my fish over i was thinking of buying a pressurized co2 kit to give my plants a good start.
i have been looking at the D+D kit as this comes with a solenoid and the price is right too! what i would like to know is if this kit is ok or do you guys recommend something else in that price bracket? also would i be doing right by setting co2 before adding my fish? (i really want to get my plants settled and growing well before adding fish)

thanks

mark

Hello Mark

Your doing the right thing by getting the plants established before adding the fish, you can blast the tank with co2 something your plants will love but your fish will not, once you plants are doing well and things have filled in, add the fish. Back of the co2 and keep an eye on the fish for heavy breathing, and swiiming along the surface of the water. This will indicate you need to back of the co2 more. The fish will eventually get used the the co2 enriched environment but it'll take a little bit of patience.

Now for the kit, have you got more info? Price ? Canister size? Does it include solenoid? Refilable?

You will be much better of with a fire extinguisher set up, a local copmpany to me does a 6.35kg bottoe for 35quid! You do have to put down a 50quid deposit but they come collect and exchange the cannister,

yourll see change from a oner for all the other bit, including an inline diffuser if you hunt around or get on the for sale thread.

Cheers

thanks mate,
the kit comes with every thing even a solenoid! the canister is a steel disposable one at 600mll but you can get a fitting to add a refillable one.
i looked at the JBL ones but they are so flippin expensive for what they are. i don't really want to go down the DIY route as i work away and my lady would be a little worried.
i have also seen on aquatics online a new kit by a company called waterplant and they look the biz but does not come with a solenoid!

mark

That does sound good, and yeh JBL is expensive but good quality.

I understand about your not wanting to go DIY for that reason, but it is very save, any pressurized gas in your home is a risk, the regs are made to reduce high pressure gasses just like the DnD regs, its highly unlikely for the Reg to fail just like it is for the DnD. Reg to fail.

Obviously its your choice but at the end of the day a regulator is a regulator, the only difference (in this case) is the thread size.

600g cost how much?

eBay regulator, £35 delivered, 2KG CO2 canister, £25 delivered, job done for much cheaper than D&D and you have the choice of any sized FE. The small 500g bottle on the D&D kit won't last long on 250litres :)

thanks mate,
i know the cylinder is small but what i want is something that will fit in the cabinet next to my fluval filter.
also, is it worth buying circulation pumps? i was thinking of getting 2 korilia 1600s for the 240ltr

I've got a 2KG FE, TetraTec external and all the other gubbins in the cabinet of my 60cm Juwel, so I'd hope a much larger tank would be nice and easy:

tidycabinet.jpg

Hmm, OK, no FE in that picture, but there is one there now in the back-left corner. Fits perfectly :)

Hope I'm not too late but avoid that kit. I bought one (still using it) and wish I'd gone for a JBL. The regulator is iffy. When it gets below half full the level fluctuates pretty wildly on a day to day basis - usually dropping down but sometimes up. Then, as it gets emptier, it fluctuates over the day so you adjust in the morning thinking you've got it back to where you want it and get home to find your drop checker yellow and your fish gasping.

Am on my second cylinder now (first one lasted 3 months) and it is totally steady but am worried what will happen in a couple of months. Have been advised that this isn't that unusual for a reg but have to say I expected better - has resulted in severe BBA. Bought it for the same reason as you as it was the only one I could find that could fit in my cabinet (and the price of course). Have been told subsequently that JBL do a short refillable cannister so that might be worth considering.

BTW am about to buy a koralia so will let you know how that goes.

hi mate,
yes you are too late :lol:
well I went one better than the d+d and invested in a JBL 602 :D It was expensive but its very high quality (got mine from ark pets for £220 a saving of £70!) I also bought a korilia 2800 after trying the nano 1600 and its much better in my roma 240. the 1600 had no umph at all.

mark

Back