• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

suitable substrates advice needed

silverteen

Seedling
hi everyone, just planning my first aquascape tank and buying the bits i need to get started. i have a clear image of what i want to create, a woodland with a path through it (original i know).

i have bought ecocomplete and will be using this as substrate but i want to add a more natural looking path (brownish) which i dont want plants to grow on.

can i use any of the following?

sand? (what about building sand from builders merchants?)
sand/mud from local river bed?
compost from gardening centre?
bonsai soil?

any recommendations? i only need 2 kg or so, any advice or tips etc please. :D

thanks

From a builder's merchants, try Silver Sand. Building sand is too dusty.
I'd personally avoid local river bed stuff as it's likely to be quite silty/dusty. If it's just gravel or something it should be fine - wash it first!
You can use aquatic potting soil, but only under another substrate like sand. You won't want this in your path!! Bonsai soil might also work but I don't know what's in it. Again, you don't want it in your path!

What's the budget? On a low budget I'd go for Silver Sand (£3 bag?). For maybe a fiver, have a look at Unipac sands at most aquatic shops. They do some quite nice variations. The Green Machine stock some on their website. If you have a little bit more to spend, have a look the ADA sands. They have some gorgeous stuff, but it's a tad more expensive. In my opinion, it's often worth it. The Green Machine also stock this, and possibly Aqua Jardin but not sure.

Tom

Back