• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glosso or HC?

JenCliBee

Hi peeps, just wanted peoples opinions on which to go for.

Few bit's of info that may help your decision lol.

Tank roughly 65 ltr's
24 watt (roughly 1.6wpg)
James all in one TPN+ mix....... dosing will be decided
easycarbo ....... 'as above'
lighting will be 6-8 hrs per day ......i guess could change.

No Co2 other than the carbon..... for now atleast

Right then now ive got the specifics out the way i have 2 simple questions.....

1..... What would grow better with the above conditions?

2..... Personally what would you chose either way?

I was originally going to try HC, ive grown this in very similar conditions and it grew pretty well albeit a bit slow which doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, it seems that everybody is doing the HC carpet and i had the thought of using glosso for a change... never tried this but have herd that it's very much like HC is comparison to the conditions it needs and maybe a little easier?

I would like to know peoples opinions that have grown it, either as a full carpet or even just semi carpeted not necessary in the conditions im planning but just peoples opinions in general.

Hello Jen,

I agree a lot of people are doing the HC 'thing' so on that I'd like to see a glosso carpet. If you have grown a carpet of HC already in other setups that's even more reason to gibe the glosso a try!

I've grown glosso well under similar conditions, with colombo flora base and slightly higher light, but if your hc grew in similar conditions Glosso should do better.

I also think glosso 's leaf shape texture and just the way it looks and grow in the aquarium lends itself more towards the nature aquarium look, where as HC is more of a iwagumi style carpeting plant IMO.

So to cut the chat....Go Glosso :D

nayr88 said:
Hello Jen,

I agree a lot of people are doing the HC 'thing' so on that I'd like to see a glosso carpet. If you have grown a carpet of HC already in other setups that's even more reason to gibe the glosso a try!

I've grown glosso well under similar conditions, with colombo flora base and slightly higher light, but if your hc grew in similar conditions Glosso should do better.

I also think glosso 's leaf shape texture and just the way it looks and grow in the aquarium lends itself more towards the nature aquarium look, where as HC is more of a iwagumi style carpeting plant IMO.

So to cut the chat....Go Glosso :D

That's my sentiments exactly, give glosso ago and bring it back as a nice ground cover plant ;), if as you say it grows slightly better and easier than HC.. that's even better... think i'll actually try the glosso now :thumbup:

I think HC looks a lot neater with less visible stems with smaller more to scale leafs.
Glosso I have found to be faster growing but less attractive. Both make a nice carpet so give glosso a go - if you dont like it then at least you will know!

That's a good point, i can always swap to HC if decide i don't like the glosso :)

Thanks guys, i think i will give the glosso a bash this time and just see for myself how i find it :)

Thanks again

Good decision Jen :D I look forward to seeing the journal.

LondonDragon said:
I am returning to glosso too in my next scape ;)

Ha ha, glosso seems to be making a comeback, look forward to seeing your tank :)

Have a strategic mixture of the two :D

I don't think i have the conditions to manage the 2 together and make it look tidy enough, i also just like the one carpet plant..... for my skills i can at least try and make it look tidy that way lol ;)

Good decision Jen :D I look forward to seeing the journal.

Cheers mate, just waiting on a few items to still come and will hopefully get the journal up soon :).

Thanks all for you input :)

I find HC looks better in smaller tanks due to the smaller leaf size, but beyond that they are both nice plants :)

Back