• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long should i have my lights on?

Discus

Seedling
Please could i have some help on how long to leave my lights on?
They or currently on 12 hours per day is this to much?
Thanks
Ian

The tank is 44x24x24
With co2
And fed biomax888 once a week
lighting is 1 30" grolux and 2 36" triplus
Every thing seems to be growing ok
co2 controled with light timer

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto :)

My lights are on 6hrs, and all is well :)

nry said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto :)
My lights are on 6hrs, and all is well :)
Might be of for now, also depends how long the tank has been running, are the plants new, might run into problems down the road if not addressed.

Again the info is vague, are lights T5 or T8, whats the actual wattage? filtration? turnover?

I never run lights in my tanks for more than 7 hours, my high tech tank gets the 7 (but I used to run 144w over 125l), my 60cm (30w) gets 6 and my two low tech 12l nanos (11w) get 4-5 hours.

Lighting is T8
40 watts each
Filtration is by a external filter 1400 lph
Just moved everything from a 48x18x15 been running for 18 months
Used same substrate, just swapped tanks save as much water as was possible.
Hope this helps

I think most folk running high tech tanks that use Co2 & EI, have their growing period set for 6-7 hours.
I am at home most of the day so I have a subdued LED sunrise light for one hour in the morning , 6 hours of main growing light then 1.5 hours of sunset light again from a weak light source.
So my tank is lit for 8.5 hours a day but only for six with all guns blazing!
The idea is to get maximum healthy growth & no algae, I guess if your tank is operating well for you all is fine.

Does it matter which time period one uses? I will start with 5-6 hours and build up to 7-8. However I like to come back home in the evening and view the tank. So is there a problem with starting at say 3pm?

Hi,
Higher plants generally need only about 8-9 hours of light, after which they begin to shut down. You can see this demonstrated on certain stem plants that have nastic movements, where the leaves appear to "fold up" near the end of the photoperiod. Any longer a photoperiod encourages algae, although you may not see this if the lighting intensity is held in check. T8s are less intense than T5s so you might get away with this configuration, but as the bulb intensity increases the margin of error decreases.

Cheers,

Back