• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10l - Picture update 7/01

The UP Atomizer turned up today, thanks Hoggie! Seems like a nice, well built piece of kit. I can't tighten the screw part over the tube to secure it properly, but maybe my tubing is just thicker than it's meant for. The bubble counter has been showing a fairly erratic 1bps for a few minutes and I haven't noticed any bubbles in the tank, but maybe it's still building pressure (very possible as I've just changed the water in the counter)

ResizeAssistant-1-7.jpg

ResizeAssistant-2-4.jpg

IMG_9092.jpg

Re: 10l - Atomizer fitted :)

Shhh, leave my dirty outlet alone! Don't tell anyone, but I also have a dirty inlet... I can't find anything thin and bendy enough to remove the brown stuff. (Shocking!)

AquaJardin do a cheap version of a spring washer but I'm worried it might not fit these thin AquaEssentials nano pipes. Hopefully they'll be trying it out today, and if it works I'll get one

jealous!!!

im going to have t do it and order one from the far east. im using a cheap 'marina' spring washer and works excellent, sayin that your glassware looks very thin.

i was using cotton buds :/ lol they were a really fat type i think to stop you digging in your ear too much hahaha.

cheers mate

Now it's settled down at +/- 1bps there are no bubbles spilling into the tank. It is still working, because if I turn off the filter for 10 seconds and then back on, it builds up and spits them out. Drop checker is a nice yellow/green. Very pleased with it :)
It seems since I've changed the water source there's been quite a dramatic improvement in the moss growth. The new growth is a nice light green as it should be, rather than very dark. The diatoms seem to have also all but stopped since the re-do too. Hopefully this will continue, and the problem was just Na overdose after all. Just need to shake the bba now, which is tricky as it's too close to the moss to attack with Excel in most places.
HC is also putting out some roots, but there is a little bit of die-back.

Tom said:
Shhh, leave my dirty outlet alone! Don't tell anyone, but I also have a dirty inlet... I can't find anything thin and bendy enough to remove the brown stuff. (Shocking!)

AquaJardin do a cheap version of a spring washer but I'm worried it might not fit these thin AquaEssentials nano pipes. Hopefully they'll be trying it out today, and if it works I'll get one
Tom
I would be very careful when removing those pipes from the tubing when going to clean them they are very easily broken.
I busted a pair trying to remove them...... the glass is very fragile.Better still try and find a connection where you can remove the Lily pipes with a piece of tubing attached.
A couple of 10mm pushfit on/off valves may do the trick.
Regards
hoggie

They certainly work well!
I used two jubilee clips to secure the diffuser as I also could not get the screw fitting to work!
I also found I had to adjust the bubble count several times in the first few days before it really settled down.

That does indeed look very good. Pffft Dirty In/Outlet. George would scream looing at some of mine.

Sometimes I wish there was a Thumbs Up button for a comment.

Tom
I would be very careful when removing those pipes from the tubing when going to clean them they are very easily broken.
I busted a pair trying to remove them...... the glass is very fragile.Better still try and find a connection where you can remove the Lily pipes with a piece of tubing attached.
A couple of 10mm pushfit on/off valves may do the trick.
Regards
hoggie

Tell me about it! I had the nice Cal Aqua nano set before these, and when fitting them back after cleaning one of them snapped and ended up in my finger. That was 4 months ago or so, and I've got a nasty scar/lump that still hurts to touch! :oops: Hence the cheap AE ones!!

They certainly work well!
I used two jubilee clips to secure the diffuser as I also could not get the screw fitting to work!
I also found I had to adjust the bubble count several times in the first few days before it really settled down.

I've just had to fit a jubilee to the tube where it fits to the Eheim. I had to use a thinner tube for these particular lilys, so just push-fitted it into the normal larger tube (12mm I think?). Anyway, I noticed it had gone brittle and there was a slight leak after I fitted the atomizer, so there's a clip holding it together nicely now. Feels a bit safer!!

Tom

Gill, on an Arizona aquatic plant forum I use they have a thank you button and a counter that says how many times your been thanked on how many topics, its quite cool, there should be a you tube type agree thing.

Back on topic.

Get the glassware clean because I've heard a rumor there are bans being given to untidy aquarists on the forum mate!!! Don't shoot the messenger haha just get it clean, and watch your strength this time :)

nayr88 said:
Gill, on an Arizona aquatic plant forum I use they have a thank you button and a counter that says how many times your been thanked on how many topics, its quite cool, there should be a you tube type agree thing.

Back on topic.

Get the glassware clean because I've heard a rumor there are bans being given to untidy aquarists on the forum mate!!! Don't shoot the messenger haha just get it clean, and watch your strength this time :)

Yeah i like the one on the dvdforums one.

well that would be me banned staright off :lol:

Just some pics of the moss growth since switching water sources :D It's the first time I've seen bright green growth since setting the tank up. The dark stuff on the underside is the old, nasty growth that's struggling to shift the algae. This is definitely now an experiment tank rather than a proper layout, but I've learned a lot from it!

Still love my atomizer though :D

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

Tom

nice shots Tom, can i ask what you have switched the water source to?

nice one Tom, it can always be disheartening when problems arise such as alqae and poor growth, even if we are doing a good job of up keep supplying good nutrients co2 ect, obviously the porblem in this case was your water source, so its cool youve got that sorted and didnt tear down the tank. well done broseph.

ive never liked moss on mini landscape rock but it does actually look quite smart in those shots.

Impressive, way smaller bubbles than my Boyu - I suspect one of these may be purchased shortly :)

nayr88 said:
nice one Tom, it can always be disheartening when problems arise such as alqae and poor growth, even if we are doing a good job of up keep supplying good nutrients co2 ect, obviously the porblem in this case was your water source, so its cool youve got that sorted and didnt tear down the tank. well done broseph.

ive never liked moss on mini landscape rock but it does actually look quite smart in those shots.

Yeah it's getting pummelled with 1bps CO2 (100% dissolved through the atomizer - no bubbles in tank!) and 2ml TPN+ (14x recommended dose). Light is only 9w, and the filter is an Ecco Pro. The only thing it could really have been after all was the water softener.

ianho said:
nice shots Tom, can i ask what you have switched the water source to?

I was using a water softener that exchanged Mg and Ca for Na. The thinking is that the plants may have been deprived of the Mg and Ca, while having a huge Na overdose. The water tastes horrible to drink!! Salty and nasty. I've switched to normal tapwater from the outside hose, left to reach room temperature.

Tom

yeah, well good its sorted mate, do AE not sell those lillys any more? i broke my inlet on my cals the ther day, and i actually quite like those ones youve got but cant find them on there site :( do you know of any other cheap lillys?

Back