• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[NANO] 15l Opti Nano - New Scape

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Decided to clear out my nano tank: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6731

And start something different and experience with "scaping", so this is my first try out.

Tank: AE 10x8x8" Opti-white Nano
Light: IKEA 11w: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30018560
Filter: Niagara 300 HOB (300lph)

Hardscape: River boulders, plain sand, manzy branches

Plants (temporarely): Bolbits, Anubias, Fern, Willow moss

It all started in a box and this was what I could come up in 10 minutes:

p1030093c.jpg

From the box to the tank:

p1030098v.jpg

Time to protect the scape for filling up:

p1030102f.jpg

Now full up:

p1030104g.jpg

Full tank shot now with filter in place, the fern in the filter is now part of the filter pad, the roots have grown into the pad and can no longer separate both, but comes off nicely for rinsing in a bucket:

p1030106fc.jpg

How it looks today after the water cleared and some temp plants added:

p1030136a.jpg

p1030140c.jpg

p1030144u.jpg

This is my first attempt and still going to play around with it, have some mosses to add to the scape that I purchased yesterday from Living Waters (thanks to Matt for collecting them and Rik for delivering them).

This is all new to me and out of my comfort zone of just throwing everything in the tank and just growing plants. Some of the rocks are a little pinkish and I might replace them with something more natural looking, also not sure about the manzi!

Any critique and feedback is welcomed.

Thanks for looking :)

Paulo

Re: 12l Opti Nano

great start Paulo :D .i like the manzi ;) .

get the moss in there then :lol: .

is this your smaller nano ?.

Re: 12l Opti Nano

nelson said:
great start Paulo :D .i like the manzi ;) .
get the moss in there then :lol: .
is this your smaller nano ?.
Thanks mate, the two nanos I have are the same size, added the manzi to break it up a little, no sure yet :)

Re: 15l Opti Nano

BigTom said:
Looks nice, and loving the filter fern! Personally though, I think I prefered the rockwork as it was in the box, with more of a 'pile'. Anticipate it looking much more natural once the plants grow in though.
Thanks Tom, thought you would like the fern with just after I saw your bucket of mud hehe
The idea is to leave enough scape between the rocks to plant the mosses ;)

Something different for you to play with Paulo :thumbup: ,as it looks at the moment the only i am not keen on is the purple looking stone,but i am sure with plants around them they will blend in nicely,

good start mate

John.

Thanks everyone :)

@John: something new indeed, all the rocks looked the same colour before covered in water, I have a few spares that I will try and replace those with and see how it works out. cheers :)

Looks much better with sand a water paulo. :) heres my 2 pennies, the pinkish stones look unnatural when put with the darker larger stones, i think the manzi looks great! just need a couple more branches i think, and that long one could be placed at a bit more of an angle with the base of it more behind the big stone.

the plant on the HOB filter is amazing! really nice emersed growth, gonna look great with the underwater scape.

Regards, Gus.

Nice work Paulo, it's good to see something different. I don't think the Manzi offers much to the scape, hope you don't mind me saying so. If you had more small pieces, then laying them on the sand around the stones may offer a really nice finish?

fozziebear said:
Looks much better with sand a water paulo. :) heres my 2 pennies, the pinkish stones look unnatural when put with the darker larger stones, i think the manzi looks great! just need a couple more branches i think, and that long one could be placed at a bit more of an angle with the base of it more behind the big stone.
Thanks Gus, yeah not happy with the pinkish rocks, they were all the same colour out of the water haha, I have some to replace them with already ;) more manzi on the way too.

fozziebear said:
the plant on the HOB filter is amazing! really nice emersed growth, gonna look great with the underwater scape.
I tried it and the fern loves it there, also gets natural sunlight during the day as its in front of a window :)

Dan Crawford said:
Nice work Paulo, it's good to see something different. I don't think the Manzi offers much to the scape, hope you don't mind me saying so. If you had more small pieces, then laying them on the sand around the stones may offer a really nice finish?
Thanks Dan, don't mind at all, every comment/critique is welcomed, we only learn that way, I don't have any smaller pieces at the moment, but Neil (nelson) is going to get me some at the next LFKC meet :) so will try it again, also once completely planted between the stones, I have some fines gravel to transition the planted section and smaller rocks to the sand.

Go boy, Go! :D

crackin tank Paulo! maybe take the wood out, but apart from that, great little scape.

Mark Evans said:
Go boy, Go! :D
crackin tank Paulo! maybe take the wood out, but apart from that, great little scape.
Thanks Mark :) I was just messing about with the Manzi, was in two ways about it, but will try with more smaller pieces first before I make my mind up, all the planting is temp (the bolbits might stay), the only thing that is staying is the rocks (except the pink ones) hehe :)

Back