• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Matt's rio 125 planted tank

HullTiger86

Hey everyone :wave:

Have being keeping fish for a pretty long time now, i have kept alot of different fish. My last tank was a 240l reef had to sell it off due to family taking up more of my time. :( i stll miss it.

But anyway back onto my new tank, just got a house with my girlfriend and son, so i decided i would start up a new tank but didnt fancy all the hassle of a reef atm, so thought i would try out a planted tank.

So here it is

P1000340.JPG

P1000341.JPG

These was took last week just after i had scaped the tank. I am getting some hair algae now though and the tank has gone real clouding from me puttin some peat in the filter, which im thinking about taking out and putting the carbon back in :?

So anyway list of all my equipment and plants :)

Equipment

Juwel rio 125 tank
2 x 28w t5 (1 daylight and 1 colour)
Tetratec ex700 filter
Hydor ex200 external heater
TMC Aquagro expert CO2 set

Substrate

Dennerle DeponitMix Professional Substrate
Topped with fine black gravel

Hardscape

Sumatra Driftwood
Mini Landscape Rock

Plants

Alternanthera Lilacina x 3
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown x 3
Echinodorus Magdalenensis x 3
Hygrophila Rosae Australis x 3
Hygrophila Guanensis x 3
Vallisneria Nana x 2
Java Moss
Bonzai Anubias on Bogwood
Microsorum Pteropus on Bogwood

I still havent decided on what fish i want but would like some Apistogramma Cacatoides, with a shoal of some tertas not sure what type yet, will also add some corys and bristlenose plecs.

Only problem is that im in a really hard water area and dont want the hassle of RO water again or the expense so will have to make do with my tap water and just hope it works out fine.

Let me know what you think about it i will add some more pics soon :)

Really nice ! Good work! Nice to see someone from Hull ! ( You name suggests Hull ! :D) We may have to swap plants sometime! I havent got many of those plants you have! Where did u buy them? Plus I didnt know Hull had hard water?

weluvbettas said:
Really nice ! Good work! Nice to see someone from Hull ! ( You name suggests Hull ! :D) We may have to swap plants sometime! I havent got many of those plants you have! Where did u buy them? Plus I didnt know Hull had hard water?

Thanks alot :) ueah im from hull need to sort out my profile stuff still lol. Yeah sure woukd swap plants and that. I got my plants from AE. Yeah we have really bad water for keeping fish in hull. Well the water is great for african rift vally cichlids lol.

Yeah your tank is really nice! That is a huge rock hahah! I like the wood! Maybe some moss tied to it? And maybe some taller plants in the background .... Amazon swords?

Thanks hope i can get it alot nicer though :D

It not 1 rock its about 5 i think that i built up :lol:

I have some moss to tie to the wood am going to go have a go at doind this now :thumbup:

My plants have allready grown abit but have ordered some cabomba to give it some height hopefully

Heres a couple of updated pics of my tank :D

P1000350.JPG

P1000352.JPG

Starting to get abit of growth and i have added some cabomba to add abit more height :)

Let me know what you think

Welcome to UKAPS :) tank is look good, very good start, being a Rio 125 owner as well just have a look at my Never Ending Journal in my sig to get some ideas ;) good luck

Thanks alot mate, looked at your tank thread and its amazing mate got no chance of ever getting mine that good lol

HullTiger86 said:
Thanks alot mate, looked at your tank thread and its amazing mate got no chance of ever getting mine that good lol
Sure you do :) at the moment yours looks way better than mine ;)

LondonDragon said:
HullTiger86 said:
Sure you do :) at the moment yours looks way better than mine ;)

Dont know about that lol :lol:

Waiting on some stuff being delivered atm, ordered an up atomizer diffuser and an solenoid vavle.

The tank is still cycling so cant add any fish yet, but havent even decided what fish i want yet :rolleyes:

Am thinking about adding some more plants aswell but rnt to sure yet

So i havent added anymore pics of my tank for a while. Have now got some fish in there;

11 cardinal teras
3 pitbull plec
5 Corydoras metae
3 apistogramma cacatuoides

Have also changed the plants abit, heres some pics

5524085095_5042a7d1df.jpg

5524083981_104207a0e8.jpg

5524082413_65845a97d2.jpg

Took the Co2 off for now has i have a up atomizer but not sure if it will work with my disposable bottle system, and also my solenoid blow the co2 tubing between the reg and solenoid so not sure what to do about this.

Hi Matt,

The tank looks great.
I was unsure of the layout in the first pic of the post but since its grown in the way it has, it looks great :)
Just goes to show how you need to visualise the end result when starting out.

I had the same problem with my co2 tubing blowing between solenoid and reg. It was fine for a year then just started happening every night. My LFS contacted the manufacturer and they would not help as they said that there was not anyone else in the world that had ever had this problem!

My lovely LFS replaced the whole system for me because they are wonderful, but I don't think you will get much help from the manufacturer. (presuming it is the same one)

Great looking tank. It is coming on well.

Thanks alot guys even i wasnt to sure about the scape at 1st lol, but am loving it now.

Need to sort out my Co2 then hopefully my plants will look even better :)

Back