• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences cleaning inline diffusers?

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Any of you guys have experience cleaning your inline diffusers? I'm sure my bubbles are getting bigger.

I expect the internals to get a little clogged over time, even on the filter outlet. Also the ceramic exterior is exposed to some light, so algae may get a light covering. I've also noticed in hard water areas, ceramic media tends to clog with calcium deposits.

I was thinking of submersing the whole unit in thin bleach, and injecting bleach into the CO2 hose inlet.

Then rinsing and soaking the unit in de-chlorinator/water solution, and syringing out from the CO2 inlet.

Any experiences welcome! :thumbup:

Haven't actually cleaned one yet, I am on my third now and have given away the precious two! lol
But I would suspect soaking it in bleach for a few hours would do the trick.

Yep, 20 minutes or more filled with bleach straight from the bottle cleans the unit of algae but bleach won't remove the calcium deposits. You'll need to soak it vinegar or other acid to clear that up.

Cheers,

Vinegar first then bleach? You should be back to atomic levels then for sure.

I can say I've never cleaned one of mine! One of the big advantages of inline I think is that even if the bubbles are bigger they get more time to dissolve, even if attached to the filter outlet. Its also never going to clog completely due to the pressure of the co2.

Were I going to clean it though, I'd probably just use a bleach soak as well.

If you want to remove the calcium deposits, hot water and citric acid would work a treat. Certainly does on my kettle!

Sam

My Boyu is inside the cabinet so is dark most of the time and as yet, still looks as white as it did when it went in ages and ages ago.

Just cleaned mine, as described earlier in the thread.

The difference is really quite remarkable.

The bubbles must be 10x smaller. I've dropped the CO2 rate and fitted a drop checker to be on the safe side until I come up with an appropriate BPS rate.

Quite chuffed actually! :D

How did you go about cleaning it, George? Just bleach in the end?

Tilex, toilet bowl cleaner works much better than bleach FYI.

Takes about 10 min and it will make any and all stuff growing or discoloring it go away.

Rinse 2-3 x and then soak in dechlorinator for a min, then return to service with mist

George Farmer said:
Just cleaned mine, as described earlier in the thread.

The difference is really quite remarkable.

The bubbles must be 10x smaller. I've dropped the CO2 rate and fitted a drop checker to be on the safe side until I come up with an appropriate BPS rate.

Quite chuffed actually! :D
Try cleaning once every month or so for in lines, 2-3 weeks for disc in the tank

I wonder if steradent would work?

steredent.jpg

Back