• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10l - Atomizer fitted :)

30quid for an inlet though!!

ill keep an eye on the for sale thread a pair came up a couple months ago, i should of got them as a spare.

the search goes one :)

While the moss seems to have "turned over a new leaf" since the water swap recently, the HC still has it's troubles. I'm wondering if maybe it's struggling to put out runners in the course substrate? Anyway, the old growth has gone manky, but the new stuff seems reasonable so far. Just a bit all over the place. Does HC prefer fine substrates?
IMG_8524.jpg

I nuked the remaining BBA with Excel a couple days ago, and it looks like it's starting to die off
IMG_8526.jpg

I have never managed to keep HC successfully in gravel (non fertile substrate), careful with the EC spot dosing, over due it and you will nuke the mosses too.

I'd give the HC another week or two then give it a hard trim - I've only ever planted HC in individual strands, pushed right into the substrate, leaving only a couple of leaves showing. For me, this seems to encourage sideways growth instead of the upwards growth some get. I prefer a smaller grain for HC, but mine is doing well in florabase however I would say it takes some shoots a while to throw down strong enough roots to crawl along the substrate more closely. The bits in less light do end up more straggly than those in the centre of the tank.

Dont know how much different this update is, but here's another tank shot. Please ignore the pipes again!
IMG_88131.jpg

The diatoms are definitely making a comeback, especially on the old HC leaves. Hopefully the new leaves will stay fairly clean but from past experience with this tank it has proved near impossible to shift :/ There's nothing wrong with the filtration, and the new leaves seem to be OK so far so hopefully they'll be able to overcome the diatoms.... yet again.
IMG_88081.jpg

Re: 10l - The return of the diatoms....

When I set the Mini M up, I removed the FE CO2 and Eheim filter to go on that, and replaced the filter with a small Azoo HOB filter. I have carried on the Excel and TPN+/N dosing as before. I am expecting to see some BBA due to loss of CO2 (liquid only), and diatoms due to losing huge amounts of filtration capacity/bacteria but so far nothing after maybe 3 days. The moss has continued growing and has even more light green tips. The HC is still as it was. Will be interesting to see what happens, if anything. The new filter was completely clean and not matured when I added it. I only have fine white floss in it.

It wasn't really going anywhere and I'd had so many problems with it. Hopefully I can take what I've learned from this tank and apply it to the Do!aqua cube, which I'm determined will not see anywhere near as much algae!! I got a large pad of Glosso through the post which was the final decision-maker to switch to the new cube, so I swapped it all over. I've started off with the same fert routine as I left this tank, just with daily 50% water changes. See my Do!aqua 20 thread for the new start!!

Tom

Back