• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearling in hard water

Themuleous

Are you less likely to get pearling in hard water? Reason for asking is that I've just redone my work tank and put 100% tap into the tank which will be very hard given that I'm in Oxford shire. Since doing it the HC hasn't't pearled, not a major issue as I can see that its growing, just wondered why this might be?

I've also got a stem of R.rotundifolia in there, thats not doing it anymore either.

Sam

My water is pretty hard and I always get lots of pearling in my tank, but I pump the CO2 to its limits and have plenty of light! Might be more to that than just the hard water, also did you stop the filter/pumps to check? leave them off for 10 minutes!

Right, was just a thought really :) haven't tried the no filter thing, will give that a go tomorrow. I did change the lighting to be on for longer at 7hrs when I did the rescape so that might have something to do with it. Have put it back to 6hrs so will see what happens.

Sam

I find the pearling really comes on strong when my circulation pumps goes off!
I have a lot of flow withing the tank but the pumps go off 2 hours before the lights go off as I enjoy seeing the tank in quiet mode instead of everything waving around. I also feel it gives the fish a change (sentimental crap probably).
The plants are actually pearling all the time but it is not so noticeable when the circulation pumps are on.

If pearling arises from the water not dissolving the oxygen fast enough (making bubbles), it makes sense that if you have more circulation it dissolves the oxygen better so you get less pearling. Perhaps? :crazy:

Lisa_Perry75 said:
it makes sense that if you have more circulation it dissolves the oxygen better so you get less pearling. Perhaps? :crazy:
Heavy flow just blows the oxygen away while the bubbles still very small and not really visible, by turning it off the bubbles of oxygen are allowed to build up and then form the pearling. My tank does not pearl when I have all the pumps and filter on, once I stop its great to watch.

I miss this tank set up. But turning off the filter works. I never witnessed pearling in my tank before and was gobsmacked when I saw it.

Back