• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stirring substrate

Ian Holdich

hey guys i'm looking for some evidence regarding the stirring of substrates, and why we really don't need to do it. Or the reasons that the gasses will just gas off, and 'not be toxic' to the fish...

anyone got anything?

I would stir the substrate on a newly set up tank, but that is way before I have added fishes into the set up. I would also add a handful of MTS and hope they will do their job. I would use a chopstick and do a criss cross pattern every 1-2cm and do it throughout the whole tank.

If you do notice bubbles then just remove then. I wouldnt do it in a proper established set up as the gas can be toxic, but If I ever had to do that. I would follow this up with an immediate water change.

So, the gases don't diseminate into the water, I have also read somewhere that the gases aren't as toxic as once thought. I just can't find this statement and find where it came from.

is there any chemical explanation to this?

I have deffinatly read somewhere that the gasses let off are not near as dangerous to fish than first thought.

I thought the process was that Hydrogen sulphide forms but when it hits the oxygenated water immediately turns into Sulphur Oxide rendering it harmless?

Is this only an issue with fine particle substrates? or could it happen in a larger grain gravel like pea gravel?

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Is this only an issue with fine particle substrates? or could it happen in a larger grain gravel like pea gravel?
Happens in my Rio with larger grain gravel ;) if I vacuum it at water changes then its fine. Used to happen more often when I had low flow in the tank, under gravel heater didn't help either as I tried that many moons ago.

Did it affect fish health Paulo?

I regularly have bubble streams coming through the sand but no deaths or effect on fish health as far as I can observe.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Did it affect fish health Paulo?
I regularly have bubble streams coming through the sand but no deaths or effect on fish health as far as I can observe.
None that I could attribute to that, it did smell awful though! :rolleyes:

Thats what i was thinking Andy, i just need something more concrete on the matter. Anyone done a thesis on this? lol

Back