• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm "quemador lenta"...tank finished.

Re: 60cm C helferi rooting pic "quemador lenta"

mrjackdempsey said:
Well up Mark, You take something that I thought was perfect ,then slapped it out of the park and it gets even better Though must be honest and say I much prefer the green tank Take care

Dave! I've got a purple version to :p

A little report.

I've just got the new ferts that Tobi has sent over. (thanks George and Tobi)

Started the dosing as of now. I'll be sure to report what happens.

Another addition to the tank (thanks George again) is the form of Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' from the NAG in Japan. To say i'm excited I've got one of amano's actual plants is an understatement. Thanks to Tobi for sending it.

As this plant develops, I'll take cuttings and send out to UKAPS members :thumbup:

Re: 60cm new ferts and plant "quemador lenta"

Another addition to the tank (thanks George again) is the form of Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' from the NAG in Japan. To say i'm excited I've got one of amano's actual plants is an understatement.
You must send some to me. I'm sure it will prevent algea, when it has been near Amano. :lol: ;)

Hello mark

I got some of that aswell its cool looking stuff :D what's your dosing regime going to be?? I'm dosing Tobi's NPlK spezial N and flow grow every 2days 1pump of each in a 15litre .

Cheers mate

Sell me some of the hydrocotyle? Ryan?

Can't wait to see how it's coming along, is the bolbititis doing better this time?

nayr88 said:
what's your dosing regime going to be

6 squirts of each daily. I'm doing 50% W/C everyday. :thumbup:

Garuf said:
Sell me some of the hydrocotyle

you can have some once I've grown it on.

Garuf said:
Can't wait to see how it's coming along

slowly mate. Still got minor diatoms though. I've put 2 ottos in which are feasting.

I hate diatoms at the best of times. They make the plants look crap. moss is slowly recovering. The stems are growing out the tank now, so need a desperate trim

here's an update. For the pics I've had to add an additional light for the foreground. In real life, it's really dim.

The ferts...

update-2-1.jpg

The wide angle lens comes in a treat on this tank.

update1.jpg

update3.jpg

Re: 60cm new ferts and update pics "quemador lenta"

Cheers Mark, Tobi recommended 1pump every 2days for me on my 15 liter but I may do 1pump a day with a 50% w/c every other day.

The moss looks so so 'fresh' like a newly mown lawn in the summer .. Very nice :D
Nice pictures overall as usual.

Ryan

nayr88 said:
The moss looks so so 'fresh' like a newly mown lawn in the summer .. Very nice
Nice pictures overall as usual.

cheers mate. A few more weeks and they should look a bit better than they do. There's still the odd moss stone, which has some dead stuff underneath which looks unsightly, But with any new setup it passes through this stage.

Here's the final update pick showing the c helferi. The white blob, is glue :oops: the moss should cover that.

c-helferi2.jpg

The next issue is fish! i'm really not sure at all what to put in it. I can at least put a few different types of fish in at least. I'd like some fish I've never had before. ideas guys?

looks great mate!

I still think it looks really like a UK lake scene or a brook.

as for fish, why not try some Killi's of some sort? Are you wanting a shoal ?

What about a shoal of hatchet fishes, (Gasteropelecus sternicla for example )a couple of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and Nannostomus marginatus..? Think that might fit the scape nicely when it has grown in. On the other hand it might not be the best choice if you're going to keep the scape open, with much open space...

ianho said:

do you think mate :D thanks. Maybe it could of been influenced by the woods that i go to.

Jek, all of those fish would suit i think. 2 of them i've kept before and are my fave fish. Theyd add a splash of colour for sure.

Are hatchets fish jumpers?

Mark Evans said:
ianho said:

do you think mate :D thanks. Maybe it could of been influenced by the woods that i go to.

Jek, all of those fish would suit i think. 2 of them I've kept before and are my fave fish. They'd add a splash of colour for sure.

Are hatchets fish jumpers?

if i put hatchet fish in i could change the name of the tank to 'hatchets lane' and that strangely enough is the name of my street :lol:

Great reading as usual Mark,things are looking very good,all nice and lush :thumbup: ,

regards,
john.

john starkey said:
Great reading as usual Mark,things are looking very good,all nice and lush ,

Cheers John. Long way to go.

If anyones translated the title (spanish) they'll know where i'm heading. :lol:

Hatchetfish are notorious jumpers... Possibly not the best option for an open-top. Quite big too for a 60cm, IMHO.

Nice wide-angles, Mark. Your camera body must have gone into shock when you removed the 135... ;)

George Farmer said:
Nice wide-angles, Mark. Your camera body must have gone into shock when you removed the 135...

:lol: not as much as i did.

on the fish front, i'm thinking guppies for some really way out, colourful pics o_O

George Farmer said:
Hatchetfish are notorious jumpers... Possibly not the best option for an open-top. Quite big too for a 60cm, IMHO.

Nice wide-angles, Mark. Your camera body must have gone into shock when you removed the 135... ;)

That's right, George. Stupid of me not to think about that. :oops:

What about black phantom tetras... http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_phantom.php

Guppies may work. Not my personal favourite for this style of tank but you'll certainly get some amazing technicolour photos!

Lemon tetras are nice. I'm considering some in my current 60cm.

Great development, Mark!

What do you think about Boraras brigittae - mosquito rasbora. Lovely colorful litle fellows :D

If you are aiming to boost the pics with color, guppy or Iriatherina werneri will do the job IMO, but the second is getting quite big - males about 5 cm..

Other interesting fish is Sawbwa resplendens, but it likes quite neutral and harder water. I have seen those fishes used by Hong Kong scapers.

Regards

I think a trip to an LFS is in order :D

As each day passes, things get easier. I'm dosing these new ferts, but it's way to early to tell any difference in this tank at least.

I'm still water changing everyday, to try and at least, stabilise the diatoms, so they don't get any worse. It's not chronic, but you can tell they are their.

Here's a pic with a powerglo fitted at the back. The pink tinge adds a nice effect to the water surface, and something I'll try out with filters over my flash unit.

slurple-the-purple.jpg

Last night, I trimmed a lot of he moss, especially the bits on branches, to keep it all in order.

I plan to keep the 50% daily water changes until the diatoms are over, which is easing daily.

Back