• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Scree Evolution

Thanks very much, Tony. :thumbup:

I think you'll like the lights. The colour rendition takes a bit to get used too. Different from T5 - more 'natural', probably because it's point source and casts more shadows. The ripple effect is very cool too.

I really like the new look & feel of a tank George. Can't wait till it matures.
As always, great job !

George Farmer said:
Aeropars said:
That lighting set-up looks brilliant! Can i ask how much that set you back including the controller?
RRP is around 440GBP for two tiles and controllers.

Wow.. thats some investment! Not sure they will be on my list of things to get just yet!

Ahh Mr Farmer!

Looking great dude! Its so interesting to see how a rock scape can be changed so dramatically with the plant selection, It looks great! One thing it really highlights is that plant selection can make or break a scape o_O

But whats with the teaser photos, come on dont leave us hanging where is the close up?............Or or are you hiding something? Maybe algae on the rocks or blade 248 of hairgrass is out of place! :woot: :lol: :lol:
Come on give us a close up!

Really good to see LEDs being used in a decent scape, good motivation for everyone to try something different.
Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Cheers
Andyh

Thanks, guys.

The plants seem to have adjusted ok to the new lighting, which was my main concern.

I received some E.tenellus today (thanks, Mark!) so will plant that this evening or tomorrow. This mixed in with the hairgass will provide a nice added texture.

Before Thursday (off to Germany for an aquascaping contest) I will hopefully get time to take some new photos, and publish some PAR results too.

Just taken some quick PAR readings.

It measures 60-80 umol/m2/s at the substrate at 100% intensity, with lights 30cm from surface. That's regarded as high lighting, I believe.

The lighting is quite consistent thoughout the substrate area, probably because I have 2 units suspended quite high, giving me a good spread.

I'm after about 30-40 umol/m2/s so instead of dropping the units (I like the spread and overspill), I've set the intensity to 50% on the units.

I'm away from this tank for 4 days from tomorrow, so it will be interesting to note the growth, and any algae... My eldest daughter is dosing the tank for me. I have TPN+ and Excel each in old 500ml ADA ferts bottles - 1ml per squirt, 6 squirts each per day. Nice and easy!

Here's a quick pic, nothing fancy, taken just after planting the E.tenellus between the hairgrass.

5389868673_71af2f74ce_b.jpg

Next time I 'speak' I will probably be with Dan Crawford in Germany, so I may not make any sense! :lol:

I actually prefer this scape now, it looks more 'manly'! lol

the crypts really set it off.

Thanks George. So maybe 1x Glo 1000 light unit would work on tank of this measures. Or maybe 2x Glo 500 stripes would be even better with nice PAR spread over surface.

Tom said:
Looking good as always. I'm interested to see how the tenellus and hairgrass get on, or whether one will try and dominate the other. How tall are you planning to keep the stems? Just coming over the top?

Have fun in Germany!!
Thanks, Tom.

I have no real experience with tenellus but understand it is quicker than hair grass. This should be ok as there is a lot more hair grass and it is already established. I am hoping that they should come together nicely in time for the IALPC deadline, as I have not entered anything yet.

The stems will hopefully creep over the top of the rocks, typical of green rotala and I will lower the water line for photography purposes.

ianho said:
I actually prefer this scape now, it looks more 'manly'!

the crypts really set it off.
Thanks, Ian.

Masculine aquascaping is an interesting concept!

Radik said:
Thanks George. So maybe 1x Glo 1000 light unit would work on tank of this measures. Or maybe 2x Glo 500 stripes would be even better with nice PAR spread over surface.
Either option would work. The 500 would give a more equal spread but maybe not as much light.

I have ran two Marine White 500 units before on this tank, just after TMC released them a couple of years ago. They were the approximate equivalent of 2 x 24w T5.

Antoni Dimitrov said:
It looks really different than before, even with the old hardscape and I certanly like it! I think it has a lot of potential!Looking forward its development!

Regards
Thanks, Antoni. :thumbup:

Just boarded the ferry to France with Dan. Writing this on his iPad and waiting for the bar to open! :)

Blimey George,i haven,t seen this until now,what a transformation i really like it,i think the plant choice is spot on and it will turn into a nice long term scape (if thats the plan),great pics as usual :thumbup: ,

take care john.

Thanks, John. :)

Just planted a few pots of Ludwigia arcuata behind the rocks to add some colour. The transition of the green > brown > red I'm hoping will work nicely.

The original Rotala green just wasn't playing ball and added nothing to the 'scape.

Also added 7 Assassin snails, to deal with my pest snail population. I'm removing 50+ per week.

Tobi's ferts are working well. Noticeable improvement in the hairgrass and tenellus growth in particular.

I'll try to get some pics up soon, as I realise word-only posts are pretty much useless in journals!

George Farmer said:
Thanks, John. :)

Just planted a few pots of Ludwigia arcuata behind the rocks to add some colour. The transition of the green > brown > red I'm hoping will work nicely.

The original Rotala green just wasn't playing ball and added nothing to the 'scape.

Also added 7 Assassin snails, to deal with my pest snail population. I'm removing 50+ per week.

Tobi's ferts are working well. Noticeable improvement in the hairgrass and tenellus growth in particular.

I'll try to get some pics up soon, as I realise word-only posts are pretty much useless in journals!

Hi George,may i ask who is Tobi and his ferts,

cheers john.

WOW good read but way over my little brain :? :lol: ,

regards,
john.

Hey George, just wondering what quantity of the Tobi fert you are dosing for this tank? I've just read the full article in the link, and its extremely interesting. So I take it the idea is to dose that macro mix every other day, and do the trace in between, with 50% water changes weekly?

BTW thanks for all the inspiration you've provided over the years!

Here's a couple of update pics.

5450833899_6020b8c136_b.jpg

5451444906_6344a659a0_b.jpg

You can just make out the Ludwigia arcuata in the background behind the rocks. It's more noticeable in the 'above' view. It's still in emerged form but I've just pruned it, so hopefully new growth will be nice and red in its submersed form.

A few days ago added 7 assassin snails to try and deal with recent pest snail issue. However, so far they have been useless and I'm tempted to take them back to the shop for a refund! Do they need time to adjust? They seem quite active - just refusing to eat the pest snails!

Back