• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help White spot (Dosing update)

John Starkey

Hi All,i have just noticed white spot on four of my cardinals,i know that raising the tank temperature to the eighties will help,i thought about trying to catch them but i would be hard pushed in this tank,
Can anyone recommend a treatment thats safe for plants and especially safe for my shrimps,i know that copper based treatments will kill the shrimps,

regards,
john.

Re: Help White spot

Tom said:
Got anywhere separate to treat them? Will be tricky with both plants and shrimp to treat them in-tank

Afraid not Tom,it will have to be in tank,i have googled it and they recommend interpet no6

regards john.

Tom said:
What's the active ingredient in that? Interpet meds are usually just salt or meth blue if I remember right!

It just says new dye based active ingredients :rolleyes: ,

john.

I Presume it would safe to use with the shrimps :?: ,

regards,
john.

In the past I have used Nystatin (Nystatin 500 000 IU) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystatin in dose 1 pill of 25 l of water. As far as I can recall the schadule was as follows: On the second day made 30% WC and add the same dose of Nynstatin again, then on they 6-7 made another WC and add the Nystatin again. The spots disappeared in about a 10 days. I have not had any problems with fish, plants or shrimps. I'm not sure is it possible to find it in UK.. As it is an antibiotic it might affect the bacterial colony, but it will recover or you could add some :)

Other option that has been recomended to me was: http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/jbl-punktol-ultra-100ml-p-3142.html

Hope this helps!

Regards

Tom said:
From planetinverts.com

Certain medicinal products are known toxic to invertebrates , copper, acriflavine, organophosphates. Whilst others are suitably safe ie formalin, malachite green, and many antibacterials

Cheers for that Tom,as i thought but two heads a better than one :thumbup: ,i will start dosing tomorrow when i get some from local LfS,
regards,
john.

Antoni Dimitrov said:
In the past I have used Nystatin (Nystatin 500 000 IU) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystatin in dose 1 pill of 25 l of water. As far as I can recall the schadule was as follows: On the second day made 30% WC and add the same dose of Nynstatin again, then on they 6-7 made another WC and add the Nystatin again. The spots disappeared in about a 10 days. I have not had any problems with fish, plants or shrimps. I'm not sure is it possible to find it in UK.. As it is an antibiotic it might affect the bacterial colony, but it will recover or you could add some :)

Other option that has been recomended to me was: http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/jbl-punktol-ultra-100ml-p-3142.html

Hope this helps!

Regards

Thanks Antoni :thumbup: ,

regards,
john.

John will the fish and shrimp survive 90F? All the treatments I have researched will be toxic to your invertebrates. 80F will not kill the parasite you need to go to 90F.

This is from a University help sheet

"Temperature manipulation is also an effective way to control "Ich" in home aquariums. This technique is often not practical for commercial fish farms, but is advantageous for the hobbyist because expensive products do not have to be purchased and it is safer for some of the delicate species which are popular in community tanks. Water temperature can be gradually raised to 90°F, maintained there for 24 hours, and then gradually dropped to 70°F for 48 hours. The infective juveniles (tomites) will be killed while the water temperature is at 90°. When the temperature is dropped the adult organisms will fall off the fish and begin to reproduce. As the young begin to emerge 48 hours later, the temperature is again raised to 90°F, causing them to die. Repeating this process continuously (24 hours at 90° F followed by 48 hours at 70° F) for two weeks should control the disease. Cleaning the tank every second day will help remove cysts before they rupture and therefore help to prevent completion of the life cycle. If you decide to use temperature to control "Ich" in your home aquarium be sure that the type of fish in your tank can tolerate the temperature extremes involved."

pm me your email and I'll send the pdf. Cannot link it on site.

tyrophagus said:
John will the fish and shrimp survive 90F? All the treatments I have researched will be toxic to your invertebrates. 80F will not kill the parasite you need to go to 90F.

This is from a University help sheet

"Temperature manipulation is also an effective way to control "Ich" in home aquariums. This technique is often not practical for commercial fish farms, but is advantageous for the hobbyist because expensive products do not have to be purchased and it is safer for some of the delicate species which are popular in community tanks. Water temperature can be gradually raised to 90°F, maintained there for 24 hours, and then gradually dropped to 70°F for 48 hours. The infective juveniles (tomites) will be killed while the water temperature is at 90°. When the temperature is dropped the adult organisms will fall off the fish and begin to reproduce. As the young begin to emerge 48 hours later, the temperature is again raised to 90°F, causing them to die. Repeating this process continuously (24 hours at 90° F followed by 48 hours at 70° F) for two weeks should control the disease. Cleaning the tank every second day will help remove cysts before they rupture and therefore help to prevent completion of the life cycle. If you decide to use temperature to control "Ich" in your home aquarium be sure that the type of fish in your tank can tolerate the temperature extremes involved."

pm me your email and I'll send the pdf. Cannot link it on site.

Thanks for the help but to be honest i don,t really fancy raising the temp to 90 F,there must be some safe treatment out there ,

cheers john.

The usual idea of raising the temperature is to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. Do it during treatment, as if I remember right, the treatments only affect the whitespot during one stage of the cycle. I can't believe how much I can forget about disease in 2 years of not studying!!

Back