• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dennerle nano cube 20l

Garuf

Hello, does anyone have any experience with these and or with the dennerle cubes in general? I picked up one of the 20l ones at a bargain price (over half rrp!) and it's got absolutely everything, light, filter, substrates even got a piece of sumatra nano thrown in there for nout and very pleased with my purchase I am indeed.

Next question is are they actually any good at growing plants? Namely without co2, I know dennerle show them lushly planted out on the box literature but there's no clue as to if they're with co2 or not or even with the standard lamp?
Is anyone running them with a heater or are they fine without? I know the filters are supposedly a bit naff but that's no large concern I've a couple of suitable ones kicking about.
I was certain a Mr. Starkey was running one but I've been unable to find the thread? Was it you John?
Any info from anyone who's set one up and had it running would be greatly recieved.

Gareth.

I have the 60 litre, filter is ok, i do find it clogs even though i only have a dozen galaxy rasbora in it. I would rather an external. Also i think I would prefere aquasoil or somthing similar to the dennerle stuff. This tank has co2 but its slow going and i still have brown algae even after a couple of months. Tank is nice though, i smashed the glass cover :(.

I dont see why it would not grow plants el natural. PAR is barely 30 at substrate, but this is with 2x11w on a 60l cube 43cm deep. oh and i added cherry shrimp, but they keep dieing off...thats another matter not sure what though.

sanj said:
thats another matter not sure what though.
Don't say things like that! I was looking forward to keeping it as an actual shrimp tank.

Sounds good to me, I guess I'll have a read about and take the plunge. The light I suspect produces more par with it being over a smaller foot print and lower down, should be plenty for mosses?

I was going to use the dennerle substrate system, I do have ADA and columbo at my disposal so I have them to fall back on should they be insufficient.

I have a 30l one using the dennerle 11w light. I have CO2 from a small disposable cylinder. It's been set up one month with no problems so far. My hygrophila have been pruned once and the foreground plants HC cuba and staurogyne are spreading. This weekend is the first time I have recorded a nitrite of zero so no livestock as yet. ADA Amazonia soil and a small tetra internal filter. I'm already thinking an external would be better but as it's my first planted tank after years of reefkeeping I'll probably wait til I'm ready for a bigger tank!

Hi Garuf,i am running the 60ltr and its a great setup,i am using a eheim external filter on mine though,i also use the supafish light 18w,aquajardin are running several of these all with the full dennerle setup and they look great,

happy birthday,

John.

Thanks John, Phil, good stuff to know.

Thanks for the birthday wishes John, another year another year older!
Looks like it's going to have to need a splash out on a co2 system!

Back