• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fec's 90cm opti-white "Sticks n Stones" 9 months on

Re: Fec's 90cm opti-white "Sticks n Stones"

Update coming soon folks....... the tank has been coming along nicely, even if I did manage to smash my ADA inlet pipe! will try and get some photo's up soon!

Cheers Ben

George Farmer said:
Ouch! Sounds expensive.
It is, don't you remember George :lol:

Looking forward to the update Ben, I love this tank.

So......Dan, George and the rest of you on the forum of course, here is the tank a good few months down the line, I haven't done much with it apart from weekly maintenance, water change, trim etc...... Oh and smashing my ADA outlet, which yes guys was very expensive! Actually to cap it off I had just told the kids off for trying to wash it when I dropped it! Typical.....and you should of seen the kids faces! They couldn't stop laughing!

Full tank shot
IMG_3051.jpg

Other shots
IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

All comments welcome.....I know it looks very jungle like....and that is exactly what I like and envisaged the tank looking like, I love it, hope you guys do too!! :D

Thanks for looking Ben

Well 9 months on and this scape has gone from the sparse......to the over grown jungle look and now to this.......After I took the photo on the above post I decided on a massive trim, All the Rotala green was trimmed to 2"'s above the substrate(Still waiting for it to grow up the back again....) Moss was cut right back and in places removed totally and the now the whole scape is growing really nice, even after an algae outbreak!

FTS
IMG_3128.jpg

Bit of a close up.....
IMG_3112.jpg

Cheers Ben :thumbup:

thats so much better than the jungle,imo anyway :lol: .
going to look fantastic when the rotala green grows back.
well done mate :thumbup: .

marthin said:
Absolutely stunning!

Cheers!

Tony Swinney said:
still looking wild, but with a hint of trimmed

Thanks Tony, maybe Wild with a hint of trimmed is this seasons new black?? :D

Mark Evans said:
is where my moss came from?

Thanks Mark, sure is where the Moss came from, you can see how dense the growth was, compared to now..... (Actually the tank although having nice healthy plants was a right mess, with it being so over grown......I much prefer it now.

nelson said:
thats so much better than the jungle,imo anyway.
going to look fantastic when the rotala green grows back. well done mate

To true Neil! Thanks mate, it's lighter and much nicer to look at now, The Rotala is so fast growing after it's major trim, I'm trimming it every day or 2, to get it into a nice shape.

Also I forgot to mention I started dosing with Tobi's ferts as of today.......so will keep a close eye on things and keep you informed of plant health. :geek:

Lovely! Nice choice of scape name too, think I named mine later than you but never noticed you had the same name!

Hi Ben,just read this from start to date,its a lovely aquascape,i love the foreground especially now the the plants have softened the edges so to speak,

cracking job

John.

Mark Evans said:
They work mate ;)

so I've seen :D

nry said:
Lovely! Nice choice of scape name too, think I named mine later than you but never noticed you had the same name!

Cheers mate......
john starkey said:
Hi Ben,just read this from start to date,its a lovely aquascape,i love the foreground especially now the the plants have softened the edges so to speak,cracking job, John.

Thanks John, it's been quite a journey, plenty of up's and huge downs! But finally think I am happy with the way this scape is maturing. Now the plants have soften the edges it does look far better, however they are also doing a great job keeping the sand clean, holding back the aqua soil and gravel etc.

B7fec said:
I really like this Ben. The contrast between negative and full space is huge, but it works in a refreshing way.

It's look very nice after the trim too, and will improve with time of course. You've had lots of practice now with pruning technique etc. so we'll be expecting big things from you now! No pressure... :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the glassware accident. I recently broke a Cal Aqua 17mm inlet so can empathise completely.

George Farmer said:
I really like this Ben. The contrast between negative and full space is huge, but it works in a refreshing way.

It's look very nice after the trim too, and will improve with time of course. You've had lots of practice now with pruning technique etc. so we'll be expecting big things from you now! No pressure...

Thanks George, yeah just a bit of practice! mind all experience for future scapes!

This was at the beginning of the scape......
tank90cm.jpg

Then for the major overgrown look......(Mind the plants were so healthy!! Poor photo though, sorry!)
IMG_3051-1.jpg

And now to this.......with a lot of trimming, as George pointed out!
IMG_3128.jpg

Back