• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rio 180 filter help

Chris85

Seedling
Hi all, im in the process of setting up a planted rio 180 and am trying to decide on a filter for it. I will be wanting an external filter as the juwel filter has been removed. I have read that i need a filter that turns over around 10x the tank volume per hour which seems very high. I am looking at getting a tetratec ex1200 which would give me around 8x an hour turnover. I want to grow a variety of plants including carpeting plants like glosso etc. Would this be sufficient or should i try and get something bigger? I don't want to buy one then find i need to go bigger.

Amy help would be really appreciated,
Regards,
Chris.

I've never used the filter you talk about but in my experience you can't have a big enough filter. Remember you can always divert or turn down the flow on a filter but you can't turn it up if it's running at full capacity. Go for the largest filter you can.

cheers guys, well at the moment with everything else i am buying for the tank i can't really afford a bigger filter like say an eheim so this is about the biggest i can get flow wise with the money i have available. Tom how did you find the flow from the ex1200 on your rio? Do you feel it would be sufficient to push flow around enough for carpet plants like glosso at the bottom of the tank?

Regards,
Chris.

Ok, i will be using a lilly pipe so ill have to see what it's like.

Regards,
Chris.

Back