• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Atomizer

Rorie87

Seedling
Hi,
I have just set up my CO2 in my 360L aquarium, but it really is not getting moved around enough. So someone suggested getting an Atomizer to attach to my output to my filter.

My tank is a good 18 or 22 inches tall though. So will the reduced output (due to extending my spray bar across the whole length of the tank) be enough to drive down the CO2 to reach my grass?!

The logic of using an Atomizer over my tiny diffuser makes sense, but my worry is that is will just disperse before reaching the base of the aquarium and hence my grass which needs the CO2.

My filter is a Tetratec EX1200 which has an output of 1200l/h

Thanks!

I'm sure some will suggest you might benefit from doubling your turnover to begin with. My EX1200 gives me roughly 650lph with media in and connected up, which if yours is the same would give you less than 2x actual turnover. An atomizer or reactor would still be the best bet for your tank though I'd say.

Tom

The spray bar is the way forward, but as Tom said your turn over is 2x or even less. Which isn't too great.

Is there any chance of you changing filter? Typing that feels abit harsh, but I'm just chipping in based on the basic principles of planted tanks that I read when getting into the hobby.

Options are, give it ago, if you find difficiency in grow or co2 distribution/flow related algae then look at adding another filter, or selling or keeping your current as a spare and getting an all together new high flow rate filter. For your size tank something like a Fluval Fx5 you can pick them up cheap second hand, and I've heard good things about them. Ill check back with the manufacturers figures :)

EDIT;

Right is 3500lph but that's fluval figures, but I'm sure the 10x rule is based on manufacturers figures. This WILL along with regular maintenance and the right dosing regime help a tons with your tank. I'm sure yourll be able to pick one up 2nd hand for around 80 or 90quid. And selling your filter will get some of that back.

In my opinion, getting an fx5 will really really be worth it.

I have a pump which turns over 4000l/h to add to my filtration. I realise it is not all filtration, but turn over is also good. This still does not seem to move the CO2, hence i was thinking about the spray bar. Any advise about the chances of the CO2 hitting the base of my aquarium if its pumped out of a spray bar 2 foot above?

It should work and is the way forward. My tank is 90 x 45 cm. I have a spraybar running the length of the tank and I have better flow now than ever before. The flow is driven by a 3000 lph pump which is separate to my filter. You don't need ten times filtration, you need 10 times flow. The bubbles reach the foreground.

The atomiser is cheap. Try it you won't be disappointed.

It should work and is the way forward. My tank is 90 x 45 cm. I have a spraybar running the length of the tank and I have better flow now than ever before. The flow is driven by a 3000 lph pump which is separate to my filter. You don't need ten times filtration, you need 10 times flow. The bubbles reach the foreground.

The atomiser is cheap. Try it you won't be disappointed.

First off, i guess i should clarify that my tank is 2 18 inches deep! Its 52 inches long, and about 18 inches in width. So that is why i was wanting to check that the gas would travel that deep.... so, do you still think it will be fine?

With the atomiser, what size do i go for? My tubing is 15.3mm inside diameter (from the manufacturar) and i see on ebay that the atomiser comes in different sizes. suggestions?

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!
I have one 4000l/h koralia power head which i just got, so not so keen on getting more small ones haha. I have decided that because i want to ensure the CO2 is diffused as much as possible and added to the aquarium, i have gone and bought a CO2 diffusing system, or reactor as they are also called. THis, along with my lengthened spray bar and my Koralia 4000 will hopefully ensure the CO2 reaches all parts of my tank :)

I thought you had an external pump driving the spraybar. I have an external powerhead driving the spraybar with co2 connected to this system. My filter is on a separate system. 3000 LPH pushes the bubbles right down onto the substrate. I'm not sure the koralia will help push the bubbles down over the length of the tank.

Back