• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Visitor seeking advice

MaryD

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm from Virginia (I"m a member of GWAPA and other local aquarium clubs). Happily, my work is sending me to the UK to visit their factory in Somerset. After several days of meetings (and probably earnest attempts at looking busy), I get to spend a few days in London (Thursday-Saturday).

On such a short visit, are there any good aquarium shops or "must see" exhibits related to aquaria? Any recommendations will be appreciated!

BTW--I do have a blog (we're trying to get members to blog, since it promotes the hobby)--it's at www.submergedblog.com.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm a northerner so my view (and knowledge) of the south is pretty bleak, there's a regular club meet down that way and aquarium design centre has a good reputation, I suppose it depends on what you want?

By the way, just skirted about on your blog and the Wabi-kusa stuff and the 90p are amazing.

The London Fish Keeping Club holds meetings every month, there is on on Sunday which might be out of the question for you, but the recommend central London fish stores are Aquatic Design Centre, Wholesale Tropicals, Various Maidenhead Aquatics, personally my favourite is Morden and there is also a little out of the way but my favourite London LFS is Living Waters. You can find all the details about the stores here: http://www.lfkc.co.uk/index.php?board=15.0

Thanks! Unfortunately, the plan is for me to take a day flight over (much more restful, fwiw) and sleeping over at an airport hotel at Heathrow. Colleagues will arrive Sunday morning, then we'll head out for the factory. So...no meeting for me, which is very disappointing!

However, the shopping recommendations are great. While I could get your link for Living Waters to work, I did search it online. Initially my search only turned up evangelical organizations and vendors of bottled water! Then I found this page (http://www.locallife.co.uk/london/aquar ... pplies.asp), which has directions for a whole lot of LFSs. Croydon is not so unimaginable for me...eons ago, I worked in London and had a friend there I visited frequently. However, the shop appears to be a good hike's distance away from the Tube, so it really depends on time...I'll check out the Central London locations as well.

Thanks for visiting my blog! I always get excited when I get to share with others--to have overseas visitors is very exciting!

If you are short on time, then ADC and Wholesale Tropicals are the only ones I would recommend, and in that order. :)

ADC is a really good shop, lots of fish, lots of plants, some salt water tanks, split over two floors. They also stock ADA and many other brands. (http://www.aquaticdesign.co.uk/)

Wholesale tropicals does not have a website and has odd working hours.

MONDAY,TUESDAY,WEDNESDAY & FRIDAY
10.30-6.00PM
THURSDAY 10.30-2.00PM
SATURDAY 9.30-6.00PM
SUNDAY 9.30-1.30

MaryD said:
While I could get your link for Living Waters to work, I did search it online.
Its not the easiest of places to travel on public transport, the two best Central stores are mentioned above by Luis, also mentioned on my first post. ;)

Back