• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH Stability using peat moss

Spang

Hellow there,

My tap water has a PH of 8.0, I am thinking of running peat moss in my filter to help with this.

My concern is after I do a water change won't the PH rise again due to the fresh water then lower over time?

Isn't this a worse situation than having a stable PH of 8?

Cheers Tom! You are always first to reply to my noobish questions! ;)

Any Ideas how long it takes to adjust water chemistry?

Also you have to consider what happens if you are away on hols for a couple of weeks
Years ago I used to run peat in my filter came back from hols to a ph of 4.5!
Matt

How much peat are we talking about? Simply a bag of peat ?

I never knew this was possible to reach such low ph in a matter of weeks? Can you link me which one you used?
I am currently looking to buy a RO unit, but it is purely for the benfits of my discus.
However I tend to do a water change once every 2-3 weeks as the tank is low tech. Tanksize is 350l and collecting enough ro water to change water frequently is a pain.

I was seriously considering an RO unit, I live in a one bedroom flat which is tight on space already.

After reading up and seeing that RO units actually waste quite a lot of water it is really impractical for me.

How big is your tank? Will collecting rain water be another solution? Or going to buy ro water?

My main issue is getting enough water for a 350l tank. But I guess once I do have ro I will have to make use of it.

Although I have had conversations about my discus set up and they are used to london hard water, but I think because they are asian discus, they will flourish under a better water parameter with somewhat softer water than I already have.

The other solution that I have tried is adding co2 via a FE. This will lower the ph, but doesnt stop the tds being higher than needed. Who said fishkeeping was easy?

Tank is ~140 Litres. but space is the main issue, there is no way for me to collect rain water as I don't have any outisde space. Buying RO water means storing it and extra cost.

My tank is Low Tech so no CO2 either.

Back