• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA in new tank

If I'm using TPN+ I use 1ml per 20l of water per day. Works for me, if you've got it lying around you might as well use it!

Mark

foxfish said:
Sounds like you are on the right track, the algae wont disappear over night but, you must make sure the gas is getting everywhere in the tank.

I hope so. The BGA seems to have stopped growing. But the major issue is now Rhizoclonium, I'm sure I've fixed the underlying problems but it seems to have gotten hold. This stuff just grows back overnight, mainly on my Christmas moss and some of the other fine leafed plants which means I can't easily clean them off. I've ordered some Excel.. hoping that might help.

vauxhallmark said:
If I'm using TPN+ I use 1ml per 20l of water per day. Works for me, if you've got it lying around you might as well use it!

Mark

I have started to use the TPN+, but not 1ml per 20L.. Sounds like a lot! I'm currently doing twice the recommended weekly dose, but dosing it daily. So 4ml per day for a 170l tank (recommended weekly dose 1ml per 10L water)

Use an old toothbrush to remove as much Rhizo as possible, then do a 4-day blackout. Should be able to rid your tank of Rhizo.

flygja said:
Use an old toothbrush to remove as much Rhizo as possible, then do a 4-day blackout. Should be able to rid your tank of Rhizo.

Wouldn't a 4-day blackout kill all my plants and I would have to start over?

Tom said:
No, I did a Thurs-Mon blackout over the last weekend on a tank I maintain for a school, with very good results

Do you recon that's the only way to get rid of Rhizoclonium? Everything is growing very well now and BGA gone.. But Rhizoclonium is growing just as well as the plants. I'm confident the problems are gone but it's really taken a hold on some plants.

Would Excel be able to deal with Rhizoclonium instead of a blackout?

Add some Amano shrimps into the tank .. say 10 at least.

Cheers,
Mike

Just an update, all the Rhizoclonium is gone. I did a 80% waterchange, cleaned off as much of the Rhizoclonium I could find and removed or cut any plants too heavily infected. Then been dosing the double recommended amount of Excel for 4 days. All gone, cleaned up nicely. No BGA and no other Algea left either other than a tiny amount of short haired green algea on stones but it looks rather nice anyway.

Back